We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What would be a reasonable airfare from Chicago to NZ?

chicago
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
What would be a reasonable airfare from Chicago to NZ?

I just started thinking about travelig to NZ in November (around Thanksgiving to maximize vacation time). The airfare I am currently seeing is around $1800 from Chicago to Auckland.

And it is around $2000 if I want to fly home from the South island.

I am not sure what to expect, but these numbers seem high. What would you consider a reasonable price from Chicago to Auckland and back from the South island.

United States
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What would be a reasonable airfare from Chicago to NZ?

Are you looking on United, AA, or are you on Air New Zealand's US web site?

I have always found Air New Zealand's site to have the best fares. Since United is a code share partner the fares are "always" much higher than ANZ for the exact same flights.

ANZ's web site has a great multi stop fare calculator.

chicago
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What would be a reasonable airfare from Chicago to NZ?

So far, I have been looking at Kayak, that shows me everything. I will look directly at NZ site. Thanks for the tip!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,388 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What would be a reasonable airfare from Chicago to NZ?

Don't forget Chicago to NZ is a long flight - 18 to 20 hours - so it can't really be compared to the cost of flying to say Europe.

You also might want to ask for tips on finding a lower fare over on the air travel forum tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Trav…

best of luck :)

chicago
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What would be a reasonable airfare from Chicago to NZ?

This is why I am asking, because this is the first time I want to fly in this direction. I am not familiar with this market. When I look for tickets to Europe or any other familiar destination, I normally know what a good deal is. Here, I am not familiar with prices. I was hoping to see somethin under $1500. Thank you for the link!

cleveland, oh
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What would be a reasonable airfare from Chicago to NZ?

I flew from Cleveland to Auckland in February on AirNZ for around $1400. I bought a seperate domestic ticket for Auckland-Queenstown. I tried to book it all on one ticket, but it was several hundred dollars more. Check Chicago-Auckland, and then a seperate ticket from the south island back to Auckland to fly home. I bought a round trip ticket, so i don't know if a one-way is a problem, but booking two tickets saved me some money. Just make sure to leave plenty of time for the connection since the airline won't be willing to help for a missed connection if they're not on the same ticket. Also, I agree with checking directly with AirNZ, they were the cheapest I found, and the employees were fabulous on all of my flights.

cleveland, oh
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What would be a reasonable airfare from Chicago to NZ?

I flew from Cleveland to Auckland in February on AirNZ for around $1400. I bought a seperate domestic ticket for Auckland-Queenstown. I tried to book it all on one ticket, but it was several hundred dollars more. Check Chicago-Auckland, and then a seperate ticket from the south island back to Auckland to fly home. I bought a round trip ticket, so i don't know if a one-way is a problem, but booking two tickets saved me some money. Just make sure to leave plenty of time for the connection since the airline won't be willing to help for a missed connection if they're not on the same ticket. Also, I agree with checking directly with AirNZ, they were the cheapest I found, and the employees were fabulous on all of my flights.

chicago
Level Contributor
416 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What would be a reasonable airfare from Chicago to NZ?

Perfect! Thank you!

8. Re: What would be a reasonable airfare from Chicago to NZ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:40