We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Christchurch?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Christchurch?

My husband and I and our two young daughters are considering a six month post in Christchurch. I am a bit concerned about the earthquake activity. Is it safe to live there? Does anyone have any travel tips for us for travelling and staying in Christchurch for an extended period of time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
328 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Christchurch?

I live in Christchurch, if you are out in the western suburbs the only real issues we now have is traffic that is more like Aucklands!!

The city is slowly getting back to normal but we still dont have(or wont have) a CBD for some time yet.

Hopefully in the next few days we are going to see the city council divested of some of its powers and central government stepping in. Rebuild by paralysis isnt working!

We are still getting aftershocks but they are very minor, there is still a 75% chance of a 5 to 5.5 magnitude in the next year but the current pattern is that the aftershocks have moved about 10km offshore.

Make sure that you have rental accommodation arranged before you get here, it is very tight at the moment

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Christchurch?

The main entry to Chch is via the airport, where the building has been replaced and work is still ongoing to have an airport building which is safe for all earthquakes. They do close the airport runways after any earthquake bigger than 5.0 and do a complete runway inspection, but such closures are for a very short period.

accomodation is tight but mainly centered around Ricarton area. book accomodation as early as possible.

Any buildings in the city, where engineers consider there may be a risk to the general public are closed, and in many cases, foot paths and parts of the road are barricaded off to reduce any risk to the general public.

most quakes are small but the count is over 10 000 since September 2010.

Do visit Chrischurch and enjoy it. it is seldom you get a chance to see a city whih has been so damaged by earthquakes. most of the tower cranes in the city are used for demolition rather than new building which is quite strange. most of the taller buildings will be dismantled, but you cannot get close to these buildings as they are in the CBD which is zoned 'Red' and cordoned off

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,769 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Christchurch?

Coaster, I beg to differ. the airport building was not "replaced". It was undergoing extensive renovation before the earthquakes struck and has stood up to all the earthquakes remarkably well. Due to a very lucky accident of fate the airport is located on very solid ground and apart from short, necessary closures for inspection it has not been closed.

Susan, as long as you can find suitable accommodation you will have a great time in Chch. after all 350,000 people are going about their normal lives and in many suburbs there is little sign of earthquake damage. I am still waiting for repairs to my house and this is a widespread problem. The house you rent will almost certainly have cracks, but will have been inspected by engineers.

4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Christchurch?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 16:42