We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to New Zealand

Newcastle, Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Family trip to New Zealand

We are travelling as a family of 8 adults to New Zealand for 10 nights in late October to celebrate our parents combined 60th's. Our parents are interested in the natural beauties of NZ as well as a short rail trip (O/Night to 3 nights). We are thinking to focus more on the south island, but would love to hear recommendations on where to go and what not to miss. We are also looking for group accommodations if anyone can advise on this. Thanks.

Oz
Level Contributor
11,696 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to New Zealand

Hi,

If you only have eight nights I would suggest you stick with the South Island only. What are your parents interests? I'm in my 60's and love Queenstown as a base for the amazing scenery and plethora of activities albeit most of our time their is spent skiing.

A possible itinerary is to fly into Christchurch the train to the west coast and then rental cars along the West Coast to Queenstown. Use this as a base for side bar trips to MIlford Sound (Fly cruise Fly), Wineries, Arrowtown, Wanaka etc. Returning to Christchurch via Cromwell, Lake Tekapo, Geraldine.

Cheers,

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to New Zealand

Hi

I think the south island is the most picturesque, quieter, less populated. I have been twice now. First a self drive holiday with my sis in law and then a husband drive holiday with me as a passenger. The first time we took on the west coast and the second time we drove up the inland route. I preferred the inland route but the west coast is wilder and less populated and does have the glaciers, while the inland has some wonderful scenery of the mountains including Mt Cook NZ's highest plus scenic lakes. I think October is a good time to travel as there is still a bit of snow on the mountains to give the scenery that added touch.

There are two rail trips on the south island. Trans alpine which runs either from Greymouth to Christchurch or the other way. There is also one that hugs the ocean coming down the east coast to Christchurch from Picton?

the former would be great in late October as Arthurs Pass is magnificent with snow capped mountains. This is a day train ride.

I have a two week trip list below. This is the one with my sis in law and myself and takes in the west coast and travels through Arthurs Pass by car (it can be done by train but you'd have to have two car rentals to break this itinerary up.

We drove all the way and we ended up in Nelson (top of the island and flew to Wellington on the north island and home.

You can reverse this arriving in Christchurch, train to Greymouth pick up the hire car and continue down the west coast to Queenstown and then Te Anau Milford Sound and back to Queenstown and then up through the inland road to Christchurch and fly out.You could even fly into Christchurch and out of Queenstown if that is possible if time is limited.

here is our trip list

tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i17115-South…

Edited: 29 April 2012, 06:41
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,322 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to New Zealand

For accommodation,you could book motel rooms,either studios for two or 1 or 2bed apartments.If you book early you should get rooms for you all at the same site.

You could also consider house rentals.We have used holidayhouses.co.nz in the past and have had some lovely properties.You shouldn't have trouble finding a four bed house.Just make sure that linen is included though.This would also probably work out cheaper than several motel rooms.

4. Re: Family trip to New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 02:17