We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free question

NZ
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Duty free question

I'm Travelling to Thailand later in year, looking at buying an iPad duty free to take with me. When u buy from a duty free store before travelling, are you able to take the goods with you (so that you can set up iTunes etc)? Or does the item have to be sent to airport to pick up on the day of travelling? Any advice would be appreciated - thanks!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Duty free question

I would seriously look at comparing prices of IPADs at Duty Free Stores and prices locally. The difference in Duty Free and non duty free is GST. If you check out local retailers I am sure you will find that it is cheaper to buy from the major retail stores than at the Duty Free shop at the airport.

Local newspapers have specials on electronic goods all the time in fact the Warehouse a couple of weeks ago parallel imported IPADs and sold them cheaper and before the authorised dealers.

Harvey Norman, Noel Leeming are the type of store I would check out especially their larger stores. Dick Smith is also worth a look.

NZ
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Duty free question

Great thanks for your help!

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Duty free question

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that not only can you not pick up and use the item before your flight, but they seal it up in the airport and you're not supposed to open it until you reach your destination. Or perhaps that is just for alcohol?

Either way, I agree with Bean in that it's often cheaper to buy electrical items from general shops. We always check out cameras and electric razors in duty free and balk at not just the price but the lack of selection.

NZ
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Duty free question

Thanks, I appreciate your help! Looks like I'll check out normal shops before leaving as I'd need to be able to set it up to iTunes before leaving. Thanks again

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Duty free question

A good site for comparative pricing for electronic goods is Pricespy. It covers a huge range of shopfront and online retailers. Given the sophistication of its search filters, it can provide an extraordinary amount of information on particular products.

http://pricespy.co.nz/search.php?query=iPad

Bangkok has a couple of large computer markets. One of the main ones is Pantip Plaza which has many floors and hundreds of shops. Because most of the shops are selling similar products, it is very competitive. Accessible by rail (short walk) and buses. (If you can ever figure out Bangkok bus routes, totally defeated me.)

All the usual caveats apply about making sure you are buying genuine products etc. Also need to make sure that you buy products with an international guarantee so claims can be processed back home. I have bought computer gear here and had no problems claiming repairs under warranty back in NZ

Edited: 30 May 2012, 03:25
Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,011 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Duty free question

You should also be aware that you can be slapped with GST when you return to NZ. Customs don't seem to worry much about small items, but larger ones (more expensive) could well attract duty if they find it in your luggage.

I must say I've never been caught, but a friend brought an expensive camera in Hong Kong and tried to bluff his way through by saying he brought it in NZ. It took them all of 30 seconds to look up the serial number and prove him wrong. He was lucky he only had to pay the duty, He could well have had it confiscated for trying to smuggle it in.

If you are within your duty free allowance you will be OK, but if one item exceeds the allowance, you pay duty on the full cost, not the cost less the DF allowance.

As said previously, Often it's easier to buy local. unless there is a huge price difference.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Duty free question

I stand to be corrected, but my understanding is that if the goods have been already used (overseas) they are classed as secondhand personal goods and not subject to GST on entrance.

"The simple definition of secondhand goods is "goods previously used"

It is only brand new items which may be considered to be imported for the purpose of resale which may attract GST.

From Cusom's website:

""The general approach taken Customs to goods purchased overseas and brought into New Zealand by travellers is to ask the question: Are these purchases of a genuinely personal nature; or are they for some other purpose?

The duty-free concession only covers articles such as clothing, toiletries and jewellery which a traveller may reasonably require for personal use during a journey. Or – in the case of a returning New Zealand resident – items that have been legitimately acquired in the course of an overseas trip

[My comment: iPads, laptops etc are considered personal effects]

However, clothing, footwear, jewellery etc, deemed to be in excessive quantities may well attract Customs charges.

The onus is on you to prove the nature of the goods you are bringing in should you be questioned. For that reason it is worth retaining any documentation, such as receipts, which may help."

UPDATE: As I was composing this I put a call through to NZ Customs. (Long wait on the phone) They confirmed that if you have taken the product out of its wrapping and started to use it while overseas, it is deemed secondhand personal goods and not subject to GST.​

NZ
Level Contributor
185 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Duty free question

Thanks so much for all your postings. Since original posting I have found out that I will be getting a tablet for work purposes so won't need to buy one after all :) more money for shopping!! Again thanks, I really appreciate all the feedback!

9. Re: Duty free question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 16:40