We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Woman traveling alone

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
17 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
Woman traveling alone

I am a 61 year old woman traveling alone to both the north and south islands of New Zealand. I prefer independent travel but do not want to rent a car. I am planning on bus travel with some day tours. Are there any areas to avoid for safety reasons? Can anyone recommend some great day tours? Is the InterCity bus safe and reliable ? Thanks for any input!

Archer Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Carrington Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Woman traveling alone

I'm in the process of finalizing my trip itinerary for Feb/Mar 2014. I am combining NZ and Fiji into a single trip for 5 weeks. I wish I could afford 3 months -- but my dogs would disown me! They may disown me as it is :(

It took me 4 months to find a travel agent that actually does these types trips. I am actually getting a car in NZ and I'm very interested in sea life, so lots of coastal stops. If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to share the info -- they work with a contact in NZ, so hopefully better rates. I'm very excited about my trip! Who says 50 is old!

Mentioned in this post
Fiji
Fiji
South Pacific
Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Woman traveling alone

Not using a travel agent but booking everything myself on line. Will be booking a car then booking as I go on line. Will book hostels, motels and cheaper B&Bs. let me know your recommendations.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Woman traveling alone

@ Debbie B - three months is an awesome amount of time to be able to take! I have spoken to a few travellers who had three months for Aus and NZ combined, and who allowed two months for Aus and one for NZ, assuming they needed more time in Aus since it's so much bigger. They all said they wished they had reversed that, allowing two months for NZ. In NZ the sights are packed close together, while in Aus they are so spread out it makes sense to pick a few highlights and fly/rail between.

Starting in February, I would do NZ first. Start up north for summery weather for beaches and boating, then work south. Fly to Melbourne or Sydney from Christchurch or Queenstown, and work your way north in Aus so the worst of the summer humidity is over by the time you get to the far north.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
34. Re: Woman traveling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 September 2013, 23:35
Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Woman traveling alone

Thanks Jean W. Was planning on going to NZ first due to the weather being better and then splitting my time, half in NZ then Half in OZ. Your views confirm my idea re my trip, thanks.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Woman traveling alone

46 and travelled alone 1 ½ months in NZ without any problems at all. Go for it! I stayed in hostels , mostly YHA and travelled by InterCity bus during the whole trip. I used many, many hours on internet research in advance so I had a general route in my head before I arrived but had only flight to Auckland and back from Christchurch booked in advance and accommodation for the first nights. You can`t go wrong with Lonely Planet NZ guide book and Trip Advisor reviews and forums. If limited time I would concentrate on one island only, I would choose South because of the amazing nature scenery. Some of my day tours I booked at YHA and others at local tourist offices. I liked everything in NZ very much but my favorites were Rotorua (Maori culture and day trips to thermal sights http://www.orakeikorako.co.nz/ http://www.waiotapu.co.nz/photos/features/) Mt. Cook tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g658483-d4… (I just took the InterCity bus from Christchurch), day trips from Te Anau to Milford Sound but particularly to Doubtful Sound https:/… day trips from Dunedin to Otago Peninsula.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
37. Re: Woman traveling alone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2014, 06:21