We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doing it independently or taking a tour?

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Doing it independently or taking a tour?

My husband and I will be visiting New Zealand in November 2012 for four weeks. I have never been and he is a Kiwi who hasn't been back since he left in 1978.

We have family and friends to visit in the Auckland area for which I am planning to book a car and an apartment for the first week. After that, I'd like to tour the north island and maybe a bit of the south.

My question is, is it better to book a self drive tour with a car and vouchers for the accommodation included, or can we just do it ad hoc, rent a car and rely on turning up in a place and finding somewhere to stay?

Thanks for and opinions.

:)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,289 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doing it independently or taking a tour?

Given that it is November, which is shoulder season & has rather variable spring weather, I'd wing it, unless there are particular B& Bs you wish to stay at. You might want to move on if the weather is bad, or stay an extra day to get a chance to take a flight etc.

United States
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Doing it independently or taking a tour?

Hire a car, plan your own itinerary. I'm not a tour person.

But plan your route in advance and you might want to line up accommodations before you leave.

I'm not one for just showing up and hoping space is available.

Have fun.

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doing it independently or taking a tour?

Just do it ad-hoc.

If you are worried about not booking in advance you can always stop at a information centre every couple of days and they will help you book the next few days of accommodation and activities.

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Doing it independently or taking a tour?

Thanks for your replies. My instinct is not to tie myself down to a set itinerary so knowing I can book accommodation as we go is a great help.

5. Re: Doing it independently or taking a tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:42