We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving times calculator

Lanai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Driving times calculator

there seems to be different info on different websites regarding how long it takes to drive to places in new zealand. does anyone know of the most accurate websites that i can use to find driving times? for example one site says it takes 4 hours....and another says it takes 8 hours. that's a really big difference! any site recommendations that i can use that seems to be the most accurate?

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving times calculator

I always use www.aamaps.co.nz, then click on the directions tab.

I have always found this site to be pretty accurate...

Lanai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving times calculator

thank you andychef! it looks like a good site....but i can't seem to find the "directiions" tab?? where can i find it?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving times calculator

I always use the formula of 70km/hr plus stops when planning my trips around the country. This allows for max highway driving of 100km, city/town driving of 50km and any roadworkd etc which may slow the traffic down. If one is a slower driver than 100km allow a little extra in time.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 08:40
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,637 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving times calculator

Pretty Plumeria, the "directions" tab is the second from the left above the map. When you click it, a dialogue box opens where you can put in Points A to B or intermediate waypoints too. Very useful and much more accurate than Google maps. Take care that some sights (eg google) apply international formulae such as 80-90 kph average without taking road conditions into account. The AA site is local and does take local conditions into account.

If you are going by web posts rather than calculators, the times will vary according to people's personal experience. For instance I might take 4 hours to drive Chch to Wanaka on a Friday night, with a 10 min coffee stop at Tekapo, but when driving my Chinese visitors it could take all day with photo stops & lunch etc.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,348 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving times calculator

I keep reading that the AA maps are better than google which I am used to. So I just looked around a bit, but need some help. Once I have made a map with directions (eg. Christchurch to Wanaka) how can I save this map so I can refer to it later, or post it here for when I need to ask questions?

I find that names people give are often confusing or not place names on maps and it sure would be good to have a map to refer to.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving times calculator

I use google maps a lot because of it's ease of use.

I do take the travel times with a pinch of salt however, as they don't seem to allow for unfamiliarity with the roads or dropping your speed to suit the conditions (sharp bends, slow trucks etc)

maryann if you like google maps and are familiar with all it's functions, I suggest you keep using it, but perhaps pair it with the AA calculator

www.aatravel.co.nz/main/td-calculator.php

Also, remember to add in times for breaks. At least 10mins for every few hours of driving is sensible, however, given the beautiful roadside scenery you will probably want to stop more often.

Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by place names being confusing and not on maps. I'm guessing you mean the abbreviations we sometimes give (e.g ChCh for Christchurch) as it speeds up our typing time. If you are ever confused just ask.

Lanai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving times calculator

Thank you very much! I will use this site from now on.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
533 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving times calculator

Hi PP. I also prefer Google Maps (GM) because of its wonderful functionality. You do need to be cautious with respect to their estimated travel times as they are using international algorithms which have not been localised for our conditions. The AA site is probably much more reliable in that respect.

I find the AA site good for the times and suggested route of travel. It is a bit of a one trick pony though by comparison to GMs. If you utilise all the wonderful functions within GM such as adding Wikipedia tags, website links from featured places, photos, its amazing 3D flyover etc, it can really become an incredible immersive experience.

Regarding personalising and saving maps. You can do a screen dump/print in both cases. With GM, you can create a shortened URL link back to the map which you can save and go back to anytime. If you have an existing Google Gmail account (or Facebook?) you can create a My Maps folder. Then you can save all your notes etc online, linking it in with Google Calendar, Google Docs etc.

Within the past few days, Google has indicated that it will improve the 3D function of its maps. Also that it will create a download function such that once you have personalised your G Map, you can download it to a smart phone.

Then you can use all the features of the phone's GPS and GM data without being connected to the internet. This will be great for travellers.

Like most things, it often comes down to whatever you are most used to and familiar with. Using a variety of tools will provide you with a comprehensive range of data for your trip planning.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,348 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving times calculator

Thanks so much for the advice. I will continue to use Google Maps but refer to AA for more reasonable time estimates.

As I get more familiar with New Zealand as I plan for a trip over a year from now it will get easier. Often when local people refer to routes to take they will mention a pass or some other feature which may not be able to make it easy to work out the route on a map. The maps like place names.

There are so many mountains, glaciers and roads on the South Island alone that it can be confusing.

Lanai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving times calculator

yes, thank you all for the helpful advice....it is much appreciated :)