We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus travel

Portsmouth
14 posts
Save Topic
Bus travel

Hi

I will be in NZ around Mid december and want to travel north and south for around 5 weeks.

What is the cheapest way to travel around, bus or renting a car..

If bus is the cheapest will it be cheaper booking one when I am there or before I go?

Any idea's on prices or some good websites to book from would be very helpful

Thanks

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus travel

check out http://flexipass.intercity.co.nz/

Intercity flexi pass will get you from towns and cities to towns and cities.

transport to or from accomodation is often with in walking distance, metro bus or taxi.

smaller coach companies also operate in nz on routes not coverd by intercity

a rental car gives you the ability to travel as you wish door to door plus stop off where ever you wish. trouble is you do not receive much of the local knowledge which coach drivers will willingly share.

motor home rental is another option, however the price is generaly more expensive than car and motel / hotel.

December can have fickle weather, and will be getting busier within main tourist destinations, so if you are able to book accomodation ahead of time will be an advantage.

once you have a rough itinerary, please post it on your thread so we can assist you to get the best out of your holiday

Portsmouth
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus travel

Thank you, ill let you know once i have more of an itinerary

3. Re: Bus travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2013, 10:16