We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling around NZ in a campervan

Auckland, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling around NZ in a campervan

Hey,

Has anyone ever travelled around NZ in a Campervan? what recommendations would you make? I have been searching and there are lots of different operators out there so who is the best and why?

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Travelling around NZ in a campervan

We own our own self contained campervan and have traveled through both islands, staying in a mixture of club sites, camp grounds and council approved parks - it is an amazing experience and I can't recommend it enough.

However, if you are looking at JUCY & SPACESHIPS please be aware you aren't going to get a camper with a self containment certificate, this means you won't be able to freedom camp and will have to stay in camp grounds. I stayed in a Spaceship for a festival weekend and personally I would have been more confortable in a tent.

Auckland Region...
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Travelling around NZ in a campervan

Thanks for that AntipodeanAnne - this is all very helpful!

Spaceships say they have foam mattress though? so I wonder how a tent you mention would be more comfortable???? Confused,.

I noticed a lot of non self- contained vehicles have portable toilets which is good at least? My holiday is in November so i need to start making a decision soon.

Any other feedback about why a operator is the best choice and why would be greatly appreciated.

cheers all!

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Travelling around NZ in a campervan

Yes - some non self-contained vehicles come with a portable cassette toilet, not sure if you have ever used one? or emptied one? I don't really see the point in having one as you still can't freedom camp.

I found Spaceships lacked space/headroom inside, hence I would have preferred a tent with a comfy air mattress and space to get stretch out, get changed.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Travelling around NZ in a campervan

A portable toilet is a potty with a lid. If used it stinks out the van and you still need to empty it into a campervan dump site - found at campsites and a few other places.

My advice -

-get a fully compliant campervan

- or get a car and stay in cabins or motels

- or get a car and tent

I haven't used a sleepervan as I don't see the point. I love to camp and use my tent a lot. I have also used a fully compliant campervan for an extended stay at a DOC site.

I have seen sleepervans parked in carparks while the occupants try to prepare food or look for clothing. In every instance the mattress is strewn with a pile of clothing, maps, food supplies and cooking equipment. I don't know how/where they sleep at night.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Travelling around NZ in a campervan

I too have seen Spaceships at tourist sites. They remind me of the worst trips of my student days, sleeping in the back of a station wagon - absolutely no space - to cook you need to be outside the vehicle, so what if it rains??

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Travelling around NZ in a campervan

I like to get of the beaten track from time to time. I have tried a compliant camper, a caravan, a tent and in extreme cases (gale force wind) the back of my Prado. The Prado would be a bit rougher, but roomier than the space ship. While my wife preferrs the Prado to the tent, I find it really claustraphobic. When I was looking at building a camper I was able to examine a "space ship". I can see how they get their name as the designer may well have worked on the early capsells! The way they have packed stuff in is really clever. I guess if I wanted to remind myself of a trip in my youth in the old HR wagon, I may try it out otherwise, I would prefer the tent.

However there are a lot around and those in them, (usually younger folk) seem to be enjoying themselves.

17. Re: Travelling around NZ in a campervan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2013, 10:15