We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

My husband and I are planning our first visit to New Zealand in February 2013. The more that we read about NZ, the more we want to see. Since we cannot see it all in one month, we are asking for suggestions from those “in the know”. We really do not know where to start our search.

For one of our weeks, we would like to rent a beach house in a naturally beautiful but low key area. We are seeking an area that has comfy but, not up scale beach houses in an area that has a few casual sea food restaurants and a grocery. We like to walk, watch birds, cook and enjoy nature. For this leg of our journey, we are not seeking a high traffic “where it’s happening” type of place. We are planning to visit Marlborough Sound, so if you know of areas that fit this description, please share. We will further research any ideas suggested. Thank you for your assistance.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,680 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

Once you start getting restaurants the area tends to be upscale. Raglan in the NI would fit your needs, as would Whangamata in the Bay of Plenty, Akaroa near Chch, a bit more touristy - but has the restaurants. WanakaLakes can help you out with the Nelson area. Marlborough has the Sounds, but is not what I would call a "beach area". Frangipani can add Northland into the mix!!

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

Thanks for your advice. We will check these out.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,959 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

There are some wonderful beaches in Whangarei district including Waipu Cove, Ruakaka, Whangarei Heads, Ngunguru - Tutukaka, Matapouri, Whananaki. All retain a seaside grocery store, as well as having a licenced cafe/hotel dining within their respective areas. Whangarei city is within close proximity to its coastal localities.

Much of coastal Whangarei is involved in the protection of native birds and forests and there are some great walking tracks to historical sites and prominant lookouts. Rare dotterals breed and nest on Waipu & Mangawhai esturies. Whangarei Heads has a mainland island with Kiwis birds and other avian species. Excellent coastal hikes and limestone features in this scenic & culturally significant area. The estuaries around Ruakaka, Ngunguru and Matapouri have prolific shore-birds.

Some of the nicest beaches are found north of the Bay of Islands including Doubtless Bay area, Karikari Pensinsula and Houhoura all on the east coast. Houhora harbour and Hendersons beach (towards Cape Reinga) have some of the highest abundance and diversity of shorebirds species.

Ahipara, Hokianga harbour and Bayleys Beach on the west coast being lovely spots during summer. These locations offer plenty of space and freedom to explore and relax without being noticeably crowded ever. Like the Whangarei area, all these seaside places retain village grocery stores with cafes or a licenced hotel serving bistro-style meals nearby.

Whangarei coastal areas east of the city are 2 hrs 30 minutes drive from Auckland CBD. Mangawhai, Waipu & Ruakaka are closer to Auckland. While Houhora and Karikari peninsula in the Far North are around 5 hours drive from downtown Auckland. Bayleys Beach on the west coast is about 2.5 hours drive from Auckland city as well.

Dargaville township is a well resourced rural service centre located near Bayleys Beach and other Kaipara coastline beaches. Similarly to the east coast of Northland - Far North there are lots of interesting sites for day-trips along the west coast including the renowned Matakohe Museum, Waipoua Forest, rivers, waterfalls and Kai Iwi lakes to add to the holiday mix and mood. Oh and some great fishing too!

http://www.holidayhomes.co.nz

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/

http://www.bookabach.co.nz/

Endless choices. Happy planning

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

Waihi Beach or somewhere on the Coromandel peninsula would be my choice.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

Beach houses in the Marlborough Sounds will not be close to a grocery store, as most are actually out in the sounds - many with boat only access - the nearest towns would be Havelock and Picton. Bay of Many Coves is the first place that comes to mind, but it's a resort, not a beach house. It's a beautiful place though with an excellent restaurant on site.

Little Kaiteriteri Beach also comes to mind, near Abel Tasman Nat'l Park - I don't know if there's a grocery store there, but you could get to one easily enough.

I have some links, I'll post back.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

holidayhomes.co.nz/for-rent/…

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

Thank you, Melnq8. Bay of Many Coves looks perfect, but way out of our budget. We can only wish...

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

Thank you Frangipani,

Great ideas and links. Had to look up the term , Bach, since I was not familiar. You read me right, seeking a wild and rugged place, not a flat beach. Still, endless choices.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

We just rented a place called adrift on golden bay. Cottages right on the beach -- they look lovely and have good reviews.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Low Key Beach Stay Ideas

Thanks, Kona Girl. They do look nice but, a little too manicured for our taste and out of our budget. We are seeking someting more natural, untamed, wild at a price within our budget. We are planning to stay in NZ for a month with stops in LA and Tahiti, so, need to budget. But, I wish...............