We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why you Need Travel Insurance

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Why you Need Travel Insurance

odt.co.nz/regions/…slip-closes-haast-highway

Today Haast Pass was closed to all traffic for most of the day due to a rock fall. There is only the one road - if it closes you have two options. Sit and wait till the road re-opens, in this case it took them all day and the road is now only one lane past the slip ... or do a u-turn and head back to Franz then where?

Stranded visitors would have their travel severely delayed, booked hotel rooms will not be used, flights have been missed, some visitors might have to scramble to get to Queenstown or Christchurch for international flights, rental cars might not be returned to the specified location on the rental agreement - thus attracting additional fees.

if you have travel insurance all these costs would be picked up by the insurance policy. No insurance - you pay.

Best to pay a little more upfront when booking your trip to prevent potentially far larger bills later from ruining your holiday.

Safe travels :)

ecosse
Level Contributor
151 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why you Need Travel Insurance

yep, - the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft a-gley, as RB put it.

and if you have a decent insurance policy you have a good chance of switching to a plan B and saving your holiday - as we found out on a trip earlier this year and have reminded offspring planning NZ adventure. Good reminder.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why you Need Travel Insurance

Definately good advice to have travel insurance.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why you Need Travel Insurance

A timely reminder in view of today's weather in Wellington which is causing flights to cancelled or diverted. Take a look at the airport arrivals/departures board! www.wellingtonairport.co.nz/flights/arrivals/

melbourne victoria
Level Contributor
87 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why you Need Travel Insurance

hi,travel insurance is a must i've been to places where i've seen people with problems at airports and how their lugage got wet due to leaving the bagage on the tarmac in rain and some of their clothes were ruined due to black from new bags running.but i wouldn';t go anywhere travelling long distance without it you'll end up losing money if you do.

5. Re: Why you Need Travel Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 June 2015, 22:06
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,838 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why you Need Travel Insurance

Some credit card companies here in NZ offer fre travel insurance if you purchase your airline tickets etc through their card. We have used such benefit and yes they wil pay when claimed.

But as WL has posted, one never knows when it is needed, andgeneraly you have up to three months to finalise your claim.

Some people like to put pressure on accomodation places and transport providers to give 100% refund because such events was not their own fault, but it isnt the fault of the accomodation or transport provided eaither, so this is when trravel insurance comes into play

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why you Need Travel Insurance

I am not sure that closure of roads like the Haast pass would necessarily be covered under most travel insurance policies. The fact that there may have been an alternate road or as it turned out the road opened later in the day and one could have completed their journey if a few hours later. The only compensation or relief I can see payable is possibility if a plane connection was missed but generally under travel insurance policies compensation is payable if the airline fails to deliver not if a traveller fails to turn up but then not all travel insurance policies are equal. I dohowever agree 100% that one should not travel overseas without some form of insurance which has a minimum of unlimited medical coverage and a failure of airlines to fly.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why you Need Travel Insurance

My understaning is that most policies will cover you if road slips, floods, snow etc cause you to miss connections, reservations, flights etc. Of course the insurance company might try to duck responsibility by claiming it is an act of God.

Napier, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why you Need Travel Insurance

Travel insurance is like any other insurance,car,home,contents,life,

redundency etc, either you are a person who believes in it or not personally I wouldnt travel with out it, my first overseas trip was in 2010 and I took out travel insurance, we went to Bali for two wonderful weeks having left our car at an Auckland Hotel that offered free car security (friends have left their car there 11 times before with no probs) when we got back we were infomed that both my car and my friends car had been broken into, but there was no damage and nothing taken and the teriffic hotel staff had frightened the would be theives off,,yea right!!! on my car the drivers door was gouged from where they unsuccessfully tried to break in with a screwdriver, the rear quarterlight window was smashed and they got in that way, the car was stripped of everything of value,clothing,small change, but the worsed was all my tools, anyway getting back to Napier I claimed against my car & contents policies the combined payout was over $3000nzdollars its the one and only time in my whole life I had ever made a claim so I figure I just got back some of the money I have paid out over the years, we found out later that 15 cars had been done over that night at that hotel, so the wonderful hotel did not scare anyone off at all and Police estimate the offenders were there for well over and hour so I think the staff were in on it, you just never know when and where something is going to happen

Edited: 10 September 2012, 00:10
10. Re: Why you Need Travel Insurance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 23:35