We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

In my 23 days North South NZ trip itinerary, I have planned to drive from Mt Cook to Dunedin (stopover 1 night) then continue to Te Anau.

If I will to take the shortest drive (from google map), the distance is 315 km (almost 5 hr drive). Now I just learnt that from the forum that Lindis Pass is not to be missed.

If I will to take the scenic route via Lindis Pass, the drive distance increases to 422 km (exceeds 6 hr). I have tried to plan my itinerary not to drive more than 5 hours from 1 stopover to another stopover, but now it seems like not possible if I do not want to miss any good photo shoots.

This also happened from Dunedin to Te Anau, the shortest drive from google map will be 290 km (4.5 hr). But if I will to take the Southern Scenic Route via Invercargill, the drive distance increases to 433 km (exceeds 6 hr).

Additional stopovers between the initial planned stopovers is not possible because I do not have any extra days to spare. (Too few days and too many beautiful places to cover)

Advice on this please, anyone?

Thank you.

Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

Limiting you driving time to 4-5 hours is a good idea, however I'm not sure you should let that be the sole deciding factor when planning your trip. Both these drives (Mt Cook/Dunedin and Dunedin/Te Anau) are going to take you the best part of a day, inasmuch as you are not going to have much time to do anything else once you arive at your destination, so an extra hour won't make much difference.

IMO the Lindis/Cromwell/Alexandra/Lawrence route to Dunedin is more interesting that the Omarama/Oamaru route, but that's just my idea, and to be honest, both are probably equally interesting for someone who hasn't seen either.

Also IMO the northern sector of the Southern Scenic route is more interesting than the southern part. I would turn off Hwy 1 at Balclutha and drive to Kaka Point. Visit the Nuggets lighthouse and look at the seal colony, drive through to Owaka and visit the Catlins museum, then back to Balclutha and continue to Te Anau. There are other routes which are shorter than doing the full SSR from Balclutha to Invercargill, but I hesitate to suggest them, as they involve driving on gravel (unsealed) roads, which can be challenging to someone not used to driving on them. You can also divert off the SSR at Mataura Island, and travel through to Edendale, from where you can take Hwy1 to Gore. I think you would need a GPS to find this route, but it is a sealed road.

Good luck with your planning.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

Hi vbc,

Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate your posting.

I will consider your suggestion seriously, especially the part on the shorten Southern Scenic Route.

Now go back to the drawing board.

Best regards,

Lee

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

How many days will you have in Dunedin between these two drives? If you don't have time to SEE Dunedin then it is better to skip it entirely. Perhaps if you post your entire itinerary, our "southern expert", Wanaka Lakes, can rearrange this to save you time!!

Edited: 19 September 2012, 10:10
4. Re: Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 September 2012, 12:35
Edited: 19 September 2012, 12:35
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

Hi Zhuhai,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have thought of that too, post up my 23D of itinerary and hoping the experts can vet it and give me valuable advice. In fact, it is from posting from Wanaka Lakes in this forum that I know about the Scenic Lindis Pass that make me rethink about my planned itinerary.

However, the the forum isnow "hot" with the tread on 'Once in a life time visit to New Zealand' by danielJBMY, worry that no one will pay notice to my question.

Well, I will listen to your advice and post my full 23D itinerary in a new tread:

My 23D NS New Zealand Trip in Summer

Please give me your support.

Thanks.

Lee

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
1,467 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

Hi Lee,

So sorry, because of my 'hot' thread. Ok, now my thread already 'cool' after 7 pages. Now, it's your turn to post your itinerary. Don't worry, lot of members in here very friendly and helpfull. Trust me, they will goes all the way to help not only you but all other in here.

Happy planning and don't get too stress, this is HOLIDAY. Smile.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

No worries Lee

all threads get attention and your visit to NZ is equally as important to us as the trip of any other member :)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

Lee, where have you posted this?

My 23D NS New Zealand Trip in Summer

I don't see it anywhere in the NZ forum...

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
98 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

Hi Wanaka Lakes,

Sorry about not posting my 23D itinerary as yet.

Still working on some details, research for more information and hope to gather all my queries before I seek reviews from all the helpful members in this forum.

May be a few more days.

Thanks

Too few days and too many beautiful places to cover.

10. Re: Scienic Routes vs Shorter drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 03:19