We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef

Landgraaf, The...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef

Hello everyone,

Help needed here. I'm planning our NZ trip for February 2013.

I'm wondering if it is possible to drive in one day from Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef, making a short stop at the Pancake Rocks.

Has anyone done this before?

We plan to leave Kaiteriteri very early (between 6 and 7 in the morning)

Hope you have some good advices!

Kind regards,

Ashley

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef

Entirely possible. I have driven from Franz Josef to Motueka in a day with no problems. Left FJ around 9.30, got into Motueka mid-afternoon. And stayed within speed limits.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef

It will take all day especially going via punakaiki, but when on holiday, sometimes one has a traveling day. Just plan on relaxing the day after to get your breath back. Driving time allow about 9 hours

Landgraaf, The...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef

Thank you both for responding on my question! I know it's going to be a long day. We want to hit the road at 6AM and like to make a stop at the Pancake Rocks, and of course several photo stops (maybe a fuel and lunch stop in either Hokitika or Greymouth, or both. Lunch in the first, fuel in the second). So if we leave Kaiteriteri at 6AM we would stil arrive in Franz Josef mid-afternoon. Which gives us time to explore FJ that day as well. That sounds good.

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef

Hi. We're planning this journey too for our trip, and I think the important points to consider are what you plan to do the day before and the day after the drive?

If you've had a tiring day before you may not want (or be safe) to drive long hours, and if you want to explore FJ on the same day that would be exhausting (in my book). If you have another hectic day planned after this, then wearing yourself out the day before may mean you don't enjoy the next one.

For info, we're thinking to break our journey with an overnight stop, probably at Punakaiki, so we're refreshed ready for a glacier hike but still have chance to see sights on our journey. I'm not saying don't do this drive, but just consider whether it will suit the rest of your plans.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,194 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef

Have you checked the tides to see whether it is worth stopping at Punakaiki?

Allowing 7 hours for driving, 1 hour for lunch/shopping at Hokitika and 1-2 hr at Punakaiki you have 9-10 hours so a 7 am start should have you in FJG by 5pm.

Landgraaf, The...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef

I have been to Punakaiki before, but don't agree with the 1-2 hours stop there! I think thats way too long for the Pancake Rocks!

Tides or not, it will be worth stopping at the Pancake Rocks, it's not just the blowholes that makes it a special place.

Thank you both for responding! Really helpful!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef

I think the pancake rocks will take you about 30 minutes - a walk around the path see whats happening and maybe a coffee at the cafe.

There are lots of other great places to stop for a breather - like along the Buller River - or Lake Rotoiti (a small detour but would count as a highlight for scenery)

8. Re: Kaiteriteri to Franz Josef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 12:19