We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to visit NZ?

chicago
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
best time to visit NZ?

Hi, we are planning a trip to NZ from USA. Was planning to travel in sept. Is that a good time to be in NZ?? Also is anyone familiar with "seasonz travel"?? Lastly deciding if we should stop in Fiji on way back to states?? Is Fiji amazing?? any help appreciaited. Trying to travel NZ north to south in 2 weeks & poss Fiji. Thx

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to visit NZ?

September the weather can be fickle. On the west coast, that is when we traditionaly get most rain, this year it was dry, in so much as it rained maybe ten day out the total possible of thirty. often we get 28 out of thirty during Sept.

Best time of the year is Feb March, except Easter tends to gain a reputation for being excellent weather or a total wash out.

I have not been to Fiji so cant coment too much on it, however if you spend time in Fiji, it cuts down your total possible stay in NZ

Never heard of Seasonz travel

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to visit NZ?

Ditto everything Coaster says - Feb?Mar is the best.

Sept can be wet and temps will flucuate between summer and winter.

You are pushing it to explore NZ's two main islands in just two weeks. It requires three weeks to see the best of both islands. taking time out of NZ for Fiji restricts you even further.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to visit NZ?

HI. I just got back from a Australia/New Zealand trip, the New Zealand portion all organized by SeasonZ travel. My experience with them was outstanding, particularly with my agent, Chiara. From the first email, to the final settlement, the response was quick, efficient and most knowledgeable. The hotel bookings was wonderful, lots of places I would never have tried on my own. The tour guides were all the best, some private and some with groups.The recommended restaurants were all excellent. I was given a cell phone with their phone number pre-programmed in for any issues, which I left with the hotel desk at my final stop. All my car rentals came with a GPS, which we REALLY needed as we did quite a bit of driving.

I am an experienced traveler, and usually book my own trips. However, as I only had 2 weeks to experience New Zealand, it was well worth my time and money to go with SeasonZ. First rate service and so pleasant to deal with!

Oz
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to visit NZ?

Hi,

The DEs have given you great advice as to when the weather is likely to be warm and sunny. IMHO the "best" time to visit NZ is the winter, August specifically and the South Island. The skiing is superb.

From your avatar horses may be important. Last year my daughter-in-law took a combined horse ride/LOTR at Gelnorch on a day we didn't ski and still regards it as one of the best parts of the trip.

Fiji is nice but there are many islands in the South Pacific. The Cook Islands are outstanding IMHO.

Cheers,

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,107 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time to visit NZ?

I don't think there is a "best time" as it depends on what you want to do. While in most places the seasons are quite distinct we do not have long periods of extreme weather.

If you want to Ski, then winter, lay on the beach summer. We are now at the end of summer and having the best weather yet, although farmers are crying out for rain. This morning it's a damp grey morning in Christchurch, but this afternoon we are expecting 27.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,107 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time to visit NZ?

Amazing,

NZ is dry! Here on the mid north coast of NSW we have had our second lot of floods in three weeks with a new east coast low to form next week and more heavy rain likely.

I guess like NZMike57 says the "best" time is when the conditions suit what you want to do. NZ is beautiful all the time. It's your choice but the weather gods are fickle.

Cheers

7. Re: best time to visit NZ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 07:17