We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
338 reviews
Save Topic
Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

Can someone clarify if you get a meal served in economy for flights between New Zealand and Australia?

When I read the Air NZ site it seems to say that you do get a meal (and complimentary soft drink/wine) but when I look at Virgin Australia site (I can book the flights I want that way and save about NZ$70), it seems to suggest that all you get for free is tea/coffee/water and if you want anything on top of that you have to pay for it.

Thanks

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

Air New Zealand serves meals if you book the option known as the Works. Other options are seat only or seat + bag, which are cheaper and don't have a meal.

Virgin Australia I have no knowledge of, as I haven't flown with it. If there is an Air New Zealand flight that is codeshare on a Virgin plane, as I understand some are now, the Virgin service standards would apply.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

Virgin Australia now operate on behalf of Air New Zealand on Trans Tasman flights. There are three choices of seating on these flights:

1. Seat - includes seat and 7kg cabin baggage

2. Seat and Bag - SEat 7 kg cabin baggage and ONE bag max weight 23kg. You can buy extra bags

3. Works - same as seat and bag plus you get meal, free booze and access to movies.

Alcohol and snacks can be purchased for items 1 and 2

The price difference between each different stage is reasonably significant. When I last flew across the ditch I think they provided around 6 meals. For a 3 1/2 hour flight the extra costs dont stack up.

If you are comiong from UK on a through flight you should check with the airline in UK as to what class of fare you are on coming across the ditch.

Edited: 16 October 2012, 20:33
Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

Thanks for the replies. :)

My flights between the UK and NZ are already safely booked. We're planning on going to Australia to and its these flights that still need to be booked.

You are right, there is a BIG difference in price between seat & bag and the works, which doesn't justify the extra cost to get a crappy meal! I assume there are places to buy sandwiches/soft drinks etc in Wellington airport?

We don't really have too much airline choice from Wellington to Melbourne unless we want to take detours. Auckland to Sydney would give us more options but the cheapest overall that I have found is to book a "return" ticket with Virgin Australia even though its an Air New Zealand flight.

Edited: 17 October 2012, 07:49
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

Have you checked the grabaseat deals? http://grabaseat.co.nz/

It's Air NZ's discount website and you can get some great bargains.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,327 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

There are some very good options for buying food at Wellington Airport which you could take on board. Wishbone has a range of satisfying and nutritious packaged salads, sandwiches and wraps, ranging in price from $7 to $12. Mojo has good paninis, and they have an airside branch in the international terminal, as well as in the main part of the airport.

Also, right now Air New Zealand is having a sale right now, due to end midnight tonight. It could pay you to get in quickly. I've noticed Qantas is having a sale too. You're right about the choice between Wellington and Melbourne - it comes down to Air New Zealand and Qantas, so there just aren't the cheap fares that Auckland and Christchurch get.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

I don't think its worth the hassle to fly to Auckland/Christchurch to get the savings either, if indeed there would be savings by the time you added on the cost of another flight.

Thanks for the food advice too - think we'll stock up on stuff before going onboard.

I just double checked the flight times/dates just now and there seems to be nothing on for the dates we're travelling (July next year). Perhaps I am a bit too early but I've been stung before leaving flights until later and then having to pay more for them. I'm planning on getting these booked up this weekend.

WanakaLakes - I had a look at your link but all the deals seemed to be for hand luggage only and we will definitely have luggage!

Thanks everyone though! :D

Edited: 17 October 2012, 11:52
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

if you don't eat all your food on the plane, don't take any off the plane. Or if you do, declare it - most food items cannot be brought into the country.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

Yes good point as watching Passport Patrol a fair number of folk get caught out with food taken from the aircraft! Chances are that I'll probably have eaten the sandwich but better safe than sorry!!

I will probably likely to have "food" of some sort in our luggage by that point too (sweeties picked up on our travels). I know I'll definitely be ticking food for coming back into NZ as I want to take TimTams home from Aus.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

NZ Tim Tams are nicer than Aussie Tim Tams ;)

(though ours are no doubt made over there).

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Meal served on Air NZ flights to/from Australia or not?

I'll have to try some then when I get there!