We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise for final plan to NZ

houston
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
Save Topic
Need advise for final plan to NZ

Hi There,

I need to finalize and book this trip till tomorrow so need final advise.

Main question is should I add Wanaka in my plan or just keep as is and just skip Wanaka?If add then what day?...Ur input most welcome.

Day1 Arrive Auckland in May at 10:25pm

Day2 Try to get morning flt from Auckland to Queenstown.

Day 3 Explore QT.

Day4 Flight to Milford Sound..

Day5 Drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook..

Day6 Explore Tasman glacier and icebergs

Day7 Drive to Christchurch

day8 Fly to Auckland

Thanks!!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise for final plan to NZ

Sadly you don't have time to add Wanaka, save it for your next visit!

I do urge you to reconsider the flight to Milford. Yes it's lovely but I think flying there/back misses the true essence if the fiord - the drive getting there. The ultimate trip is to bus to Milford, cruise, then fly back by helicopter(!!) or plane(!).

2. Re: Need advise for final plan to NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 17:05
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,860 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise for final plan to NZ

If you stick with the flight and it is cancelled due to bad weather you could head for Wanaka on Day 4.

houston
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advise for final plan to NZ

Thank u so much for ur useful advises...

Question Wanakalake if I add one day then I can do Wanaka?...Guys is Wanaka really worth to visit?...

Please this is my first time so I've no idea..Pls let me know about Milford u r saying flight is not a good idea but my concern is if I take bus from Queenstown to Milford how long it will take??? Day 1 and 2 I'll book the hotel in QT when I depart from QT to Milford via bus when I'll arrive then should I book hotel in Milford???Do I reach Milford in the evening?..Then next day when we'll go from Milford to Mt.Cook then should I book the hotel in Mt. cook??...

After that when we go to explore Glacier pls let me knw where we should book the accomodation...Then I knw in CHCH I'll book the hotel....

Pleaseeee need ur advise in this...Really appreciate.

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
8,205 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advise for final plan to NZ

The DE's are probably still asleep, but if I can be some help:

The bus/cruise/fly option from Queenstown is a one-day trip. No need to book hotel at Milford (there isn't one anyway, only a small lodge).

Wanaka is lovely, but for your time restrictions, will have to wait until another trip - or if weather is bad for Milford, then go to Wanaka as a backup plan as Zhuhai suggested.

Mount Cook lodging is fairly limited. Here's a link:

www.mtcooknz.com/mackenzie/searchresults/…

houston
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advise for final plan to NZ

Oh ok so we can do Milford in one day..Can u tell me how it works like from QT by bus and take cruise there and then fly back frm Milford to QT??...Flying back is what via helicopter?...Do we have to book in advance?...

Then Mt.Cook will frm QT?...Drive frm QT to Mt.Cook?...

Should I book Mt.cook loding in advance?..How long before?...Now?...

Do u think if I should add one day and do Wanaka as well or skipping Wanaka is fine?.

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advise for final plan to NZ

Yes add a day and yes add Wanaka.

You won't be here till May 2013? Then book your accommodation next year.

Milford - you can fly back to Queenstown by helicopter or fixed wing. I prefer helicopter but of course it costs more. You can also fly standby - tell your bus driver you want to fly back, while you are on the cruise he will find out which flights have an empty seat and how much. As long as the weather is good, there will be an empty seat so no need to panic thinking you won't get a flight. if the weather is poor than just get the bus back - you will have bought a round trip ticket anyway.

1 arrive Auckland

2 fly to Queenstown

3 explore

4 bus to Milford, cruise at Milford, fly back if possible, or take the bus back - all in one day, do not book Milford accommodation

5 drive Queenstown to Wanaka

6 drive Wanaka to Aoraki/Mt Cook

7 explore

8 drive to Chch

9 fly to Auckland

houston
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advise for final plan to NZ

Thank u so much...

England
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advise for final plan to NZ

Global Travel....

Why do you say "take the bus of course"?

Can one not take a hire car?

is there something I should know?

10. Re: Need advise for final plan to NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 15:05