We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

England
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

We spent 2 months in NZ in the mid 70s and have always wanted to go back.

Rough Idea is to fly air nz to Los Angeles and stay a few days with friend in order to lessen the jet lag. (we really suffered 2 years ago when we flew direct to Oz). Then fly into Auckland. There we would pick up a hire car and spend about three weeks traveling round both islands. Is three weeks a bit too rushed? I appreciate more time would be nicer. Return journey we would probably do in one hit, unless there is a particuarly nice place to stop over at you know of.

Weather.... We don't like excessive heat and we think Jan/Feb won't be as hot as OZ. Correct?

Accomodation..... On previous touring holidays I have carefully planed each stop and sussed out somewhere to stay in advance. However this time we want to be more flexible. Is NZ the sort of place where you can just turn up at a town and get a room on spec? We'd probably book the first few nights in Auckland.

Costs.... Is NZ as expensive as OZ.? We were quite surprised at the relativly high price of stuff compared to UK in Oz..

Itinerary........ We have a few preliminary ideas, but would someone be prepared to suggest a route taking in the major sights.

Car hire... Is it feasable to take a hire car on the ferry between N and S islands, or would it be better to leave the first car on N Island and pick up a second on S island and a third when back on North?

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Archer Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Carrington Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

Depending on which airline you fly, you can fly Chch to the UK.

You seriously do not have time to drive a rental car from Auckland to the lower South island and back to Auckland in three weeks.

Yes you can do a one way hire.

Some car rentals do not allow their car on the ferry, some do. Check with Apex - they have been recommended (twice) to you for a reason :)

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

Hmm that's a puzzle about the website, try this link, should work

http://www.tamworthlive.org/

I've lived in Tamworth for 10 years and other places around the Midlands & Black Country. I'd rather be in N.Z though which is the purpose of our trip to see if the OH likes it enough to want to move there .

My Grandparents and their kids (my Mom being one of them) moved out to Dunedin in the 60's, they sailed over, all paid for by my Grandad's new employer, they settled, he built a house then they transferred him to Chch, so off the family moved, nothing so romantic with my Mom & Dad though, I he was the Kiwi, but I don't know him.

I am basing myself in Chch and not visiting the North Island this time, but before now I have done both. 1st time flew Heathrow to AKL, then straight down to Chch, stayed with friends, did Kaikoura, Hanmer, Lewis pass, Punakaiki, Arthurs pass & Queenstown, Chch. Flew back to AKL stayed in the city with rellies and went to Rotarua for a couple of days by bus. that time we hired a car just for the S.I leg.

2nd time we flew B'ham to Chch direct with Emirates, didn't do so much travelling that time, just localish, Akaroa, Hanmer Springs and a few days down in Queenstown, flew up to AKL to stay with my (long lost) sister, that only being our 2nd meeting, then back down to Chch a few days before being homeward bound.

This trip we're again going BHX to CHC direct with Emirates, staying in Chch for a few days with sister (only 3rd time we'll have met) we intend to do a small loop north, something like Kaikoura, Nelson, Abel Tasman, Punakaiki, Lewis Pass, Hanmer & back to Chch, back there for a few days then a southern loop if time allows Arthurs pass, one of the glaciers, Wanaka, Queenstown, maybe Mt Cook then back to Chch for last few days with friends. We'll be renting a car probably through Apex.

Edited: 23 October 2012, 10:38
Mentioned in this post
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
England
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

Thanks Wanaka....... I'd taken on board that apex would let you travel between the islands, but didn't know if you could leave the car on SI having picked it up on NI.

I realise three weeks to start and finish in Auckland is possibly trying to pack too much in (a mistake I've made in the past). But I quite enjoy driving.

at my age I'll probably be too old to make another trip in the future.

Now I've learn't that emirates fly direct to BHX, that would make life a lot easier.

If you use different airlines for the outward and inward leg, does that bump up the overall price?

Nardine. That's quite a story. I hope your next trip convinces you OH to move to NZ. Will try the website again.

Thanks both for your imput.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
England
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

Nardine.... link still doesn't work.

England
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

Having discused things fully with SWMBO, she's... sorry we've decided that having a week in LA en route, three+ weeks in NZ, and another stopover on the way back will be too much for our tiny minds to cope with in one go.

So we are going to have two weeks in LA instead, and postpone NZ for a year. Plus, now I've learned I can fly direct from Burningham with Emirates we can book really early and get a good price. In the meantime we will buy a good pictorial photography book of NZ and look at the pictures whilst we sit in front of our open fire throughout the miserable UK winter.

So I thank you all for responding to my queries and no doubt will be asking more inane questions nearer the time.

TTFN

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

No worries, enjoy your time in LA :)

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
England
Level Contributor
5,936 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

IMHO LA is a wierd place. I've been three or four times. Doesn't really have a heart. It's so big. You look on the map and think I'll just pop down to that beach, and find it's 30 ml away. Hollywood is a bit of a seedy dump.

I wish I'd been there in 70s when Elton John, James Taylor, The Eagles etc were playing The Troubador and The Whisky

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,000 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

Yep, all true. It does hold a seductive fascination though. I lived in LA for a year and enjoyed many more visits, staying there several months at a time.

Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
19. Re: Preliminary thoughts and questions Jan/Feb trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 09:15