We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working in New Zealand - Cotton Farm??

norwich
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Working in New Zealand - Cotton Farm??

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help or provide me with any useful information. Myself and my partner are considering leaving the UK for 3 – 4 months to work in New Zealand. Does anyone know anything about working on a cotton farm? I have heard that it is very hard work, long hours but that it pays VERY well. We are hoping to find out further information to see if it would be possible to work in New Zealand for a few months in order to save up a good sum of money to bring back to the UK to put on a deposit for a house.

Could you please let me know if you have heard of work on cotton farms or anything similar which pays well? We are prepared to work long hours / days and see this as purely an opportunity to save money, not a holiday. If anyone has done this, it would be great to hear from you. We are also open to suggestions of work in Australia which pays well.

Many thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,442 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working in New Zealand - Cotton Farm??

Welcome to the forum k :)

Working on NZ cotton farms is so lucrative that it is the country's best kept secret. In fact it is so secretive that I, a farmer's daughter, have never heard of a NZ cotton farm - and even a search by Google shows the secret is totally secure.

However NZ excels at sheep farming, deer farming and dairy so come on over. It's hard work and low paid but at least you will be able to wrote home about it - no secrets here :)

Our neighbours, Australia, have cotton farms - perhaps you meant to post in the Oz forum?

best of luck :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,294 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working in New Zealand - Cotton Farm??

Horticulture is also another possibility. Seasonal workers are used in orchards, vineyards and market gardens. Family members have done this type of work, and say it helps if you have some related experience, otherwise expect to spend time earning lower amounts while you get up to speed (pay rates are generally according to amount picked, not per hour). Some crops are more pleasant than others - apparently asparagus is hard work, but mushrooms are great.

I have no idea what you need to save as a deposit on a house in England, but 3-4 months, even at the height of the season, would not earn enough to put down a deposit on a house in New Zealand.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,860 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working in New Zealand - Cotton Farm??

In case you missed the tone of WL's post (#1), NZ has NO cotton farms!! I think someone has been pulling the wool over your eyes!!

4. Re: Working in New Zealand - Cotton Farm??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 10:18