We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels and car info in NZ

houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Topic
Hotels and car info in NZ

Hi There,

Please need advise my plan is

Day1 Arrive Auckland late night.

Day2 Morning Flight from Auckland to Queenstown.

Day 3 Explore QT. These 2 nts in Queenstown..

Day4 Flight to Milford Sound..

Day5 Drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook..

Day6 Explore Tasman glacier and icebergs

Day7 Drive to Christchurch

day8 Fly to Auckland

Questions:-Hotels in Queenstown I'm planning to stay 2nd, 3rd and 4th day..From Milford we're coming back via flight, ow much it cost?.If we won't get flight coz of weather condition what we should do?..Can we stay in Milford and from there we can go forTasman?..

As per my plan when should we rent the car?..When we arrive Queenstown?..Should we keep rental car for two days and when we go for Milford then we should return?..

Day5th from Queenstown how do we go for Mt.cook should we rent the car?..Where we should stay?..

Day 6 when we go for Tasman from Mt.cook we should go by car and where we should stay?...

So please advise the accomodations which places should I book and which places should I need to get rental car?...

Which airline should I look for cheaper fare from Christchrch to Auckland?...

Thanks a ton in advance.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels and car info in NZ

Bind, you might want to read your own thread here tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255104-i125-k5838…

to remind yourself why flying to Milford isn't such a great idea, why you won't stay at Milford if you don't reach there and where to stay at Aoraki/Mt Cook.

Tasman glacier is at Aoraki/Mt Cook. The tour bus will collect you from the Hermitage hotel and return you back there afterwards.

You will need a rental car day 5/6/7 - possibly also day 8 depending on where you stay in Chch and what time your flight leaves. You can of course have a rental car for your entire stay in Queenstown too, depending on what you plan to do and where you are staying. if you are staying in a central location you won't need a car.

Airfares look at www.grabaseat.co.nz - ensure you book a fare which includes luggage.

Edited: 28 October 2012, 10:10
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels and car info in NZ

To maximize economy/ efficiency, I would schedule the Milford Sound tour (coach/cruise/fly) for Day 3, then pick up a car on Day 4 so you can get around Queenstown, Arrowtown or Glenorchy etc.

Day 5/6 depending on your budget, you can stay at the Hermitage or Alpine Lodge or the YHA.

houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels and car info in NZ

Thanks a lot for ur responses...Wanakalakes I'm not saying I'm gonna fly to Milford..Is that right we'll take bus from Queenstown to Milford and to Queenstown via flight..This is what we gonna do..But my question was if the weather will be bad then what we gonna do?..Because what I was trying to do to book 3 days hotel accomodation in Queenstown Day2,3 and 4th when we go for Milford and return to Queenstown from Milford. If we won't be able to come back from Milford then what will happen the room will have in Queenstown?...I'm really sorry this is my first time and here I'm lil confused..

And Zhuhai2007 thanks I really like this idea Day3 will do Milford and day 4th will rent the car for day 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th till CHCH...

Please let me know should I book the car from like any website or u can recommend any good website so I can get the best rate?...In Queenstown is there any downtown location we can pickup the car?...

Is it will be expensive if we pickup from Queenstown and return CHCH?...

Very important question on day 6th if we don't want to go for Tasman glacier coz we have seen so many glacier's in Alaska if we want to explore something else what else u can recommend?...

Day 5/6 u said we can stay at the Hermitage or Alpine Lodge or the YHA. Is this the only options or is there more hotels there to choose from?...Can u provide me there website info to book?...

Thanks!!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels and car info in NZ

well you did say - Day4 Flight to Milford Sound.. - so here was me thinking you were still planning to fly.

If you bus to Milford and the flight out is cancelled then you just bus back - you won't get stranded in Milford, so yes, book your hotel in Queenstown for that night. And if by chance you do get stranded somewhere then that is what travel insurance is for.

Car rental - Apex - you can book off their website and yes, ask them the cost of different pick-up/drop-off.

The tasman glacier trip is the only one in the world which includes cruising around icebergs - because it is the only easily accessable terminal lake in the world with icebergs!! - seriously cool. But you could instead walk, hike, explore, gaze at the stunning scenery, read, eat, play cards ...

houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels and car info in NZ

Thanks!!! Ok for Taman G cruise do they have any website?..Should I book in advance or when will be there we can get easily?

Pls advise accomodation websites for Day 5/6 in Mt.cook The Hermitage or Alpine Lodge or the YHA.

Thanks again.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels and car info in NZ

Bind, use the links on the side bars of TA, or even everybody's friend - Google - to find the hotels I named. Here are a few sites to get you started.

http://glacierexplorers.co.nz/

Www.wotif.co.nz

houston
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels and car info in NZ

Thanks a lot for all the info u guys gave...Really appreciate.

8. Re: Hotels and car info in NZ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2013, 09:16