We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bed and breakfast availability in summer

Boston, USA
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
bed and breakfast availability in summer

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I will be in New Zealand for three weeks in late January to early February. We will be driving in both the North and South Islands. Generally when we explore on a vacation we will drive at our leisure and seek a B&B at the end of the day. We never really know where we will be so we seldom get reservations.

My question is: Do you think that we will be faced with B&Bs that are mostly full every night? We would prefer to stay in places that cost $100 or less NZ. We plan to be in coastal areas and much of the rural areas of the South Island.

Thank you,

Bob

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bed and breakfast availability in summer

Hi There

When I've travelled in N.Z I've booked at each townsl tourist information centre known as i-site in N.Z. They have special offers for all kinds of accomodation, busier towns may need to be pre-booked unless you're seriously into "lucky dip" I have had great luck by doing this, and bad luck! They're very knowledgeable people and if you give them a budget they'll find a few places for you, show you on the map where they are and call and book, so helpful!

Also consider motel's in N.Z they're a lot better than U.S they're clean tidy and self contained often with a seperate kitchen.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bed and breakfast availability in summer

Hi Bob,

This is not a easy question to answer, as we don't know of many B+Bs that are $100 . Are you talking about $100US.

If the b+bs are booked out the motels are about that price. Normally B+B in NZ is considered luxury accommodation and more expensive than hotels.

The book to get is the Charming places to stay in NZ http://www.charmingaccommodation.co.nz/

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bed and breakfast availability in summer

Most B&Bs in our area are not considered 'luxury 'as such, they are normally in the range of about NZ$130-NZ$180, and are therefore mid range in price and offer great value compared to motels given that you have breakfast included in that price.

There are very few if any under NZ$100

There are also of course a couple that are really in the luxury end of the market at NZ$250+

Other than if there are special events going on or on public holiday weekends, you will probably easily enough find a B&B in most towns without booking ahead, but some of the better ones will be booked up.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bed and breakfast availability in summer

To get an idea of costs and availability, take a look at wotif - heres a glimpse at Wanaka mid Jan - the rates range from $139 to 5 star $350 per night.

www.wotif.com/search/Advanced…

Check this link too http://www.wanakabedandbreakfast.co.nz/

Wanaka is more expensive than many areas, but it gives an idea of costs vs motels which range from $80 to $190

www.wotif.com/search/Advanced…

Best of luck :)

Edited: 28 November 2012, 20:28
5. Re: bed and breakfast availability in summer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 06:17