We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

Novosibirsk, Russia
Level Contributor
97 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

What are the prices and tariffs for tourist sim cards in NZ?

Do they sell microsimcards compatible with iphone4s?

Which operator to choose?

I will really appreciate your advices.

Fort Riley, Kansas...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

I've heard lots of good things about 2 Degrees, and I'll probably get one of their phones once I get there.

http://www.2degreesmobile.co.nz/home

No idea about the simcards for your iphone, but I'd assume they're around.

Fort Riley, Kansas...
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

and this company has pretty good rates too, and they mention a simcard is available for the iPhone 4.

http://www.phonehirenz.com/our-products

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

2 degrees & Vodafone would be the 2 I would consider....

You need to look at their websites for rates as it really depends on whether you just want calling, or if you want data, texts etc aswell....

Both have suitable sims and effectively have the same coverage as 2 degrees uses Vodafone's network in some areas...

www.2degreesmobile.co.nz

www.vodafone.co.nz

2 degrees sims are the most widely available and you can buy these in most service stations and supermarkets

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,748 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

Vodafone charges too much for its SIM card for short term use. Last time I investigated it was $30, whereas 2Degrees is often free or $2 -$5.

Wairarapa, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

Off the shelf SIM cards are standard size - not micro. You would need to go to an actual mobile phone store to get a MicroSIM.

The three main companies are Telecom, Vodafone and 2degrees. An iPhone 4 will work equally well on all three networks - Vodafone and 2degrees are 3G (UTMS) with a 2G (GSM) fallback, while Telecom is 3G only.

Personally I prefer Telecom because they have better reception - Vodafone/2degrees reception where I live is patchy to non-existent, while Telecom's is moderate to high. And this is a town of 2000 people.

Probably will come down to the pricing plans available.

vancouver
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

I am in New Zealand right now and bought the 2 degree sim card for Iphone. Had to look a little bit for the micro though, found it at Dick Smith, reg. convienance stores or Auckland airport didn't have it and didn't even know they had the difference size cards. Love the service and package now that we have it though.

Novosibirsk, Russia
Level Contributor
97 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

Well, thx everyone for the advice.

I quickly went through the websites.

http://www.phonehirenz.com/our-products these guys offer a delivery service, which is really good thing. I'll have my sim card in the hotel, when I arrive. They offer all 3 main operator's sim cards.

2degress - looks cheaper, but delivery stuff & top-up process is not clear on their website. I pay 10$, does they go to my balance or should I top-up on-top?

Once again, thx everyone. I'll continue investigations :)

Auckland Central...
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

For you, I'd recommend Vodafone - particularly with your top-up question.

Here's why:

1. A Vodafone SIM card by itself costs $5

2. A $30 Prepaid pack comes with $20 credit already loaded + a free bonus ( http://www.vodafone.co.nz/freebees/ )

3. The SIM pack has both the Standard sized SIM and Micro-SIM as one piece. If you need a Nano-SIM they'll swap it for you free-of-charge

4. Their "My Vodafone" App let's you top up at will with a Credit or Visa Debit card - just download it. http://www.vodafone.co.nz/using-myvodafone/

5. Their network is better. They're legally allowed to claim "superior network" in their advertising now. They began their rollout of 4G at the start of 2013. No-one else has launched yet. Their 4G network also comes with the benefit of better 3G (Dual carrier).

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,923 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

You have a replied to a post from Dec 2012!

Bagram, Afghanistan
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

Thanks everyone , I'll be in New Zealand for 12 days ... both islands and was wondering about which phone service will be best for my unlocked 4s iphone.... mainly data ...but some phone use. Looks like Telecom as I'm more concerned with reception quality rather than price. Thanks