We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

Novosibirsk, Russia
Level Contributor
97 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

What are the prices and tariffs for tourist sim cards in NZ?

Do they sell microsimcards compatible with iphone4s?

Which operator to choose?

I will really appreciate your advices.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
11. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

Updated information is always appreciated. Especially since this was pretty much the first search result on google, makes things very convenient :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

We used www.datago.com.

Our SIM card arrived a few days after ordering, and had really clear printed instructions included on how to setup our phone plan for NZ before we even set foot in NZ. I was able to load credits on, confirm that our phone was working, and that we could be in touch with our friends & family both in Australia & NZ the entire time we were away.

We had great service all the way through the South Island, with a few black spots (as does every provider) in remote areas. The internet plan was easy to manage, and certainly saved us both time & money trying to sort out mobiles, and internet when we first arrived.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

For iphone 5s users who want LTE coverage. Only Telecom (Spark) and Vodaphone support LTE coverage according to Apple http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937.

Holmfirth
Level Contributor
1 post
120 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

Does a Vodaphone sim bought in Australia also work in New Zealand?

15. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 22:50
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

For $19, $29 and $9 respectively - $57 NZ altogether - at Sparks I got: plan 1-unlimited texting to NZ mobiles-all; 100 mins NZ calls; 500 MB + in addition to 1GB Sparks wifi DAILY wherever u see Pink sparks phone booths (wifi hotspots) - each day they text u a new passcode for the day when u try to connect. Otherwise regular free wifi is offered in a number of places / businesses and u can chat for free on Messenger around the world if the other person is also on wifi on the other end and u can skype for free. TIP - if using GPS map out ur route and deactivate ur wifi and cellular once mapped - even if it's 4 hours to destination it rubs thd whole time without eating any if your data. Plan 1 comes with nano card trio (included in the $19); for safety purposes I added $29 plan 2 which gave me another 1.5 GB of data which in the end was overkill. I also added $9 plan 3 international which gave me 90 international texts (add country code in front of the contacts u plan on texting or phoning) and 90 minutes talk - this was also overkill as wifi - messenger and Skype did the job fine. Because I shut off all apps except for my top 5 to operate on cellular Data, -- maps -- and only activate others as I need them - after 10 days of travel I only had used up 200MB of Data then I let loose and barely touched by 1.5GB allocation. So save ur money - no plan - shut everything off and use free wifi everywhere u go - have a bit more fkexibility - ie GPS mapping - and go fit the $19 value pack. download the Sosrks app and it tells u your status for data, texts, call, split out by plan and easy to read - 2 he delay. When u start getting close to use of plans, u get a free text letting u know ur at 80%... Don't be alarmed if u bought 2 plans (add-ons) - the info pertains to the 1st active plan before it jumps onto the add on. After 12 days, I used my 500MB + 50MB, 30 mins of NZ calls, 10 intl mins since I had some anyways and 3 intl texts -- I was "managing" them all a bit too well I guess....very doable with only the $19 plan - I let my self loose the last two days only -- use wifi to upload FB pics and the such - I posted 30 new pics everyday and chatted on MSN multiple times daily

Clinton, Washington
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

Thanks for all your info, very informative, and seems like just what I need, but hear me out...

I will be in NZ, 15 days in May, and I have no idea what I'll need for my iPhone 5s. Will the ones you bought for $57 accommodate my iPhone 5s? and do I need to only buy these in NZ?

My California gal friend got the following: Cellphone GSM Frequencies: 900/1800, and said, "This means you will need a GSM cellphone that will work on 900MHz or 1800Mhz to use it in New Zealand." Is that true,? Or will my iPhone work using sim cards?

Clinton, Washington
Level Contributor
164 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

You did not mention the type of phone you used the sim card for. Is it for an iPhone, I have an iPhone 5s.What type is yours?

19. Re: Mobile phone in NZ/tourist sim card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2016, 05:15