We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary and do I need to prebook in Feb?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary and do I need to prebook in Feb?

We are planning a 3 week visit from Jan 25 until Feb 18 flying into Auckland and out of Queenstown (and we have a car rental). I have two questions please:

(1) Prebooking: I went ahead and booked accomodations for my first 2 nights, last night, and a couple nights in Te Anau - do you think I need to worry about finding accomodations during that time of the year for the rest of the trip or can we book as we go? Also, if we want to cruise Milford Sound can we wait until we get there?

(2) General itinerary - any feedback: parenthesis shows how many nights in each city: Auckland (1), Coromandel Peninsula (1), Bay of Plenty (2), Rotorua (1), Napier (2), Wellington (1), Nelson (3), Kaikoura (2), Christchurch (2), Dunedin (2), Te Anau (3), Queenstown (3).

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary and do I need to prebook in Feb?

I agree that you can probably get away without booking but why not have certainty? You have a short time and a good itinerary so it would make sense to book ahead. I find it really time wasting at the end of a long day to try to find accommodation.

Auckland, NZ
Level Contributor
12 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary and do I need to prebook in Feb?

As a local, I would recommend booking in February, as this is the peak tourism season in New Zealand. Yes, the majority of New Zealanders have gone back to work or school or February, but there are still lots of tourists in the country in February, meaning that places could be full.

Waiting till you get there is a good idea for Milford Sound though, as it's a very weather-dependent destination.

Canada
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary and do I need to prebook in Feb?

i've never been to nz, and don't pretend to know what i'm talking about, but I CAN tell you this - we're going about the same time as you, we tried to pre-book the highest ranked reasonable places, and they're already gone!

You won't be forced to sleep on a park bench.... but if you're confident about your itinerary, why not pre-book?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary and do I need to prebook in Feb?

The itinerary and dates you outline indicate that you are likely to be in Wellington around the 1st and 2nd of February. If that is the case, you absolutely must prebook because that is the weekend of the Wellington Sevens which is a hugely popular rugby event. It is also a great time to be in Wellington, so don't be tempted to alter your plans, just get in there and book now.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary and do I need to prebook in Feb?

Wow, I had no idea about Wellington Sevens. Thanks for letting me know since that was the time I was going to go through Wellington. OK, we are now going to try and plan all the accomodations. I just checked and Wellington is booked for those days. But there are closeby towns that have availability.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary and do I need to prebook in Feb?

I've had a quick look on wotif.co.nz, and there are still some rooms left in the more expensive places eg the Bolton, the Amora. If these are beyond your budget, then there are some motels in the Hutt Valley or up to the Kapiti Coast still available too.

7. Re: Itinerary and do I need to prebook in Feb?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 05:15