We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand in Jan/Feb

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand in Jan/Feb

I plan on spending 5-6 weeks all over NZ during Jan/Feb but I have read that this is the high season time and I want to travel on a budget. Is this a bad time to go? Is NZ considered a budget destination?

Im a solo backpacker and I want to do all the outdoor activities NZ has to offer so most my expenses would go towards experiences instead of food and lodging.

Any tips and ideas would be much appreciated.

Danny

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand in Jan/Feb

Hi

You may find the following site useful:

www.bbh.co.nz

You may also wish to consider camp grounds/motor camps many of which have cabins at reasonable rates

You are correct that January and February is high season and many accommodation providers have high and low season rates. However most backpackers have standard all year rates. If you are happy to be in a dormitory room (sharing with 4 or more people) then you should be able to find accommodation for around NZ$25.00 per night. A room in a backpacker lodge/hostel would be upwards of NZ$50.00.

Hope this helps.

California
Level Contributor
44 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand in Jan/Feb

Thank you, that does help!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,466 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand in Jan/Feb

Your other major expense will be transport. The cheapest way to travel other than hitch-hiking, is probably a bus pass.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,466 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand in Jan/Feb

I forgot to mention that there is also couch-surfing, which offers a chance to meet like-minded NZers. www.couchsurfing.org

5. Re: New Zealand in Jan/Feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2014, 10:16