We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Better to visit Waitomo or Te Anau Glowworm Cave?

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Better to visit Waitomo or Te Anau Glowworm Cave?

Hi,

We are planning to both North and South island. Recently i found that there is also glowworm cave in Te Anau. So now i can't decide which one to go instead?

Any experiences to share?

Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,390 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Better to visit Waitomo or Te Anau Glowworm Cave?

Which works into your plans best?

If you intend to go to Te Anau for the Sounds then it might be easiest there. Waitomo has more glow worms but Te Anau is a cool trip with the lake crossing and cave waterfall.

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Better to visit Waitomo or Te Anau Glowworm Cave?

My route works better if we go Te Anau Glowworm Cave as we will be going to Doubtful Sound and staying the night at Te Anau.

But if I were to go Te Anau Glowworm Cave, do I miss out anything that is only available in Waitomo Glowworm Cave?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Better to visit Waitomo or Te Anau Glowworm Cave?

Only difference is the number of glow worms as WL said. Also more tour groups go to Waitomo. I much prefer Te Anau. Lovely trip across the lake and the waterfall is a bonus.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Better to visit Waitomo or Te Anau Glowworm Cave?

Over the years, we have heard people that have done both lots of caves. That the better of the two is Waitomo.

5. Re: Better to visit Waitomo or Te Anau Glowworm Cave?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2013, 10:16