We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which bus company to go with??? Magic, Stray, Kiwi Exp?

Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which bus company to go with??? Magic, Stray, Kiwi Exp?

I'm an 18 year old heading out to New Zealand early next month for a 6 month gap year trip. I'd really like to go on a bus tour so I can see as much of the country as possible as well as making friends etc. I'm not that into partying, so I've been put off the Kiwi exp because of the partying persona it carries with it. I'm more torn between Stray and Magic. I like Magic because it goes to Hobbiton and I'm a pretty big LOTR fan. Any experiences/advice would be very very welcome. Thanks in advance :)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which bus company to go with??? Magic, Stray, Kiwi Exp?

Yes if you're not a avid party fan then Stray or Magic are your choices. I'm also one of them and I've been with Stray bus and was satisfied with it. Great and funny drivers and they sometimes will give commentaries on places.

As for the LOTR places, you can actually go by yourself as it's not that far away from Stray stops. For example, Matamata (hobbit's home) is near Hamilton, Weta Cave is nearby Wellington, Tongariro National Park (Mt Doom) and etc. If you ever consider getting a Stray bus pass, do use or quote Stray Mate Code KL3909 to get further discount. Cheers!

Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which bus company to go with??? Magic, Stray, Kiwi Exp?

Thanks for your reply :-) I'm 99% sure that I'm going to do a Stray Anywhere pass. Want to see as much of the country as possible. Any must sees? Thanks again.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which bus company to go with??? Magic, Stray, Kiwi Exp?

Hey - I did Magic in 2009 for a month - really enjoyed it!

we decided not to do kiwi experience because we were in out mid 20's and probably a few years over the average age!!

Magic was a complete mix from about 22-60! i suppose it depends on who you get/what time of year but i thought it was gooa bunch which changes a lot.

I love the south island - The whale watching in kairkora was one of my highlights and my friends did s sky dive at lake taupo and skiing in queenstown - i didnt do either but really enjoyed both the locations.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which bus company to go with??? Magic, Stray, Kiwi Exp?

Hey, did you go on the Stray bus in the end, what were your thoughts? Did you find it easy enough to get to the LOTR places?

Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which bus company to go with??? Magic, Stray, Kiwi Exp?

Hey,

Yep I went with Stray and would highly recommend it. Lots of opportunities to do LOTR things, which I'm going to do on my second time round :)

6. Re: Which bus company to go with??? Magic, Stray, Kiwi Exp?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 05:15