We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ travellers bank account

colorado springs
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
NZ travellers bank account

Hello All,

Does anyone have experience with establishing a NZ bank account from overseas? The main purpose would be to transfer a deposit to hold a bach we would be renting. (Most of the bach owners do not accept credit cards). It would also be used as a temporary travel account.

I've looked at several banks- Most require a NZ residence. Some have cards you can purchase once in NZ that would act like an ATM or EFPOS card. (Although that would not help me now to secure a rental bach.)

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,304 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NZ travellers bank account

Hi :)

I bank with ANZ which states... Accounts are only available to persons who will be living in New Zealand for six months or more...

Surely the bach owners have encountered this before? What solution do they propose?

Does your own US bank have any agreement with a NZ bank where you can transfer money?

Best of luck :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,563 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NZ travellers bank account

The normal procedure surely would be either Western Union or a direct wire transfer to the Bach owner's account. My students pay their university fees in NZ this way. I've never heard of anyone opening a temporary account for a holiday and assume it is like all the other countries where I have lived which require evidence of a long-term visa, plus a permanent residential address in that country.

3. Re: NZ travellers bank account

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 16:05
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NZ travellers bank account

Why dont you just load up your American credit card and withdraw cash as you need it in NZ from ATM's. ATM daily limit for most major banks in NZ is $NZ800 per day. If you operate more than one credit card load up both cards and your limit is increased to $NZ800 per day per card.

colorado springs
Level Contributor
12 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NZ travellers bank account

Thanks so much for your replies.

Although I am not a huge fan of Bank of America, I have found that they partner with Westpac Bank in NZ. This allows someone to withdraw funds from your US account at any Westpac Bank without incurring international fees. But, still no success on finding a local bank account.

As always, thanks to you guys who take time for my questions!

Cheers

6. Re: NZ travellers bank account

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 01:16