We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking a Holiday

Kidderminster...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Booking a Holiday

Hi,

we are planning a holiday to New Zealand this year for my 70th birthday. We have been looking at some travel brochures of 15 to 22 day coach tours & also self drive motor home holidays.

Can anyone advise on either options, we are looking at going November time.

Many thanks, Clive & Sandra Vincent.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
212 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking a Holiday

Hi Clive,

New Zealand is a very easy country to travel in independently and you don't need to take an organised tour.

If, however, you want someone else to worry about all the details while you sit back and enjoy the sight, an organised tour would be for you.

I would avoid Kiwi Experience as it will be mostly gap year kids.

Edited: 13 January 2013, 13:44
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking a Holiday

The styles of holidays are very different and really are not comparable. A coach trip means you get up sit in a bus eat and drink as required and go to bed. Your day is organised for you. A self drive means you do all the planning and the work. At aged 70 do you really want to do the latter for 3 weeks?

3. Re: Booking a Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 15:05
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booking a Holiday

Welcome to the forum Clive :)

If you are used to driving a campercan on narrow and twisty roads then a campervan will be fine for you - otherwise you might want to consider renting a car and staying in B&B's and motels.

A coach trip can be very nice and yes, there is the ease of having everything taken care of for you.

But planning your own trip is also great fun - or you can pay for a self-drive tour so someone arranges the itinerary, books the accommodation and you are left to do the driving and the exploring.

So you have a few optiosn to consider - if wanting to plan your own trip we here on the forums will do our best to help maximise your planning and your visit.

Let us know what you decide :)

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booking a Holiday

Hi Clive,

We are in our mid 60's,still up for fun and adventure and would never consider a coach tour.It is so easy to plan your own itinerary and drive yourself (same side of road of course).

This way you can choose how long each day you want to be travelling and when and where to stop for photos/loo breaks etc.NZ motels all have cooking facilities if you don't wish to eat out each night and there are some lovely B&B's where you can meet and chat with the owners.

By the way, I don't know if you are used to such long flights,but I strongly recommend upgrading your seat for more comfort.If you can afford it,business class with a flat bed for sleeping is the way to go!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
145 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Booking a Holiday

I don't think it has much to do with age more your comfort level at planning your holiday. If you would feel more comfortable being on a full tour then go that way, not trying to call you old but my grandma takes tours that are just for older people - you may be too young - she always comes back and said she enjoyed her time but says they are very full on. Im sure you could find one more age appropriate rather than getting stuck on a bus with school leavers. what a nightmare! And Im saying that as a 23 year old! If you wanted to do some tour and some free you could always book some short tours then have a bit of time free between rather than one long one. That way you can have the best of both worlds.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,227 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Booking a Holiday

I very much doubt that "Gap-Year F-Ws" will be on the same coach tours as older folk. And I do believe that most of the coach tours offered in NZ have done their homework and provide good value for money, with plenty of stops... (as a sometime tour-organiser myself!!). However they can also be full on - breakfast at 8, on the coach by 8:30....

It comes back to how much planning you want to do yourself and how much driving. In three weeks you could easily visit 10 destinations, with 2 nights at most and 4-5 hour drives every alternate day.

I suggest you pick up some brochures from a High St Travel Agent and/or search the internet for some such as AAT Kings, then consider whether you could follow a similar itinerary on your own.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Booking a Holiday

Hi

It really comes down to what you are comfortable with, how much of the organising you wish to do, how much or how little flexibility you wish to have and of course your interests. All the options are well catered for in New Zealand

You may for starters wish to take a look at:

www.tourism.net.nz

which will give you a broad overview of what is available. You may find that there is too much information but you have time to sift through it.

Whatever option you choose do avoid the temptation to try and fit too much in to too short a time and as much as possible stay more than one night in a place - this makes for a much more relaxing holiday than moving on everyday.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Booking a Holiday

Global Traveller you are an experienced independant traveller who probably gets off on planning the holiday as much as undertaking it.

I took from the tone of Clive's message that they are nor experienced travellers let alone freedom travellers in a foreign country. If I got the wrong message so be it.

Hopefully we will get an update from Clive soon.

Edited: 14 January 2013, 19:44
10. Re: Booking a Holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 15:05