We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eating out with children

St. Pierre de...
Level Contributor
4 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
eating out with children

Hi, we have a 2 week trip to New Zealand planned and have all our accommodation, trips, car, ferry etc now booked. We want to be super organised as we have very little time in each place so now want to research where we are going to eat. The trip is to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and we love eating out in excellent restaurants. My question is - how welcoming of children are the New Zealanders in top restaurants ? We live in France and our boys at 10 and 7 love eating out too, are extremely well behaved and enjoy the whole experience of new foods. We do not expect 'childrens' menus but occasionally we ask for three meals and an extra plate as my 7 year old sometimes finds it hard to consume an 8 course taster meal alone ! However we do not want to book into restaurants where the other guests or staff are going to be horrified at seeing two children walking in. I have noticed that many restaurants open early at 5pm ish which suggests they are happy to have children but I'd like to hear what people have to say .

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: eating out with children

Some of the better restaurants will not be overly keen on having kids during the main part of service (7pm-9pm), but you would definitely be fine in most places if you are happy to go fairly early and be finished by about 7.

However, the answer to this question is really different for each restaurant, so you would need to ask.

There are many restaurants in NZ that are not in the 'fine dining' category, but still serve excellent food, that would be much better set up for kids.

If you let us know which towns you are going to be in, I am sure you would get lots of recommendations of places that would be good.

St. Pierre de...
Level Contributor
4 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: eating out with children

Hi, we will be in queenstown, franz josef, blenheim, martinborough, turangi, rotorua as our main stops. We do not anticipate eating out every night but would like a few special meals during our trip, as I said our children are used to eating in excellent restaurants in France and love the whole experience, so it is just as much fun for them as it is for us - we certainly would not want to be anywhere that expected us to be out by 7pm just so their main diners wouldn't see us !

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,396 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: eating out with children

I have dined with children your sons' ages at Botswana Butchery in Wanaka - I'm sure the Queenstown restaurant will be equally as welcoming. When making the reservation it never occured to me to ask if kids were welcome - and I wouldn't dine at one where I was told we would have to eat and leave early.

Happy travels :)

4. Re: eating out with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 18:36
Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
212 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: eating out with children

I've never had a problem with taking kids to restaurants in NZ - fine dining or not.

With Franz Joseph, you know that you can only get to the glacier by helicopter now? Fox glacier is much more accessible and may be a better option - there are some nice restaurants in Fox too, but I found them hideously expensive in comparison to other places. Consider going to the supermarket at one of the bigger centres on the way and making your own gourmet meal at your motel - or a picnic (but make sure you take some heavy duty DEET for the sandflies).

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
42 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: eating out with children

I second WanakaLakes suggestion of Botswana Butchery - amazing food and lovely atmosphere. I can't imagine children would be an issue if they are well behaved, as yours are.

Hope you enjoy some of the amazing food/restaurants we have in NZ!

St. Pierre de...
Level Contributor
4 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: eating out with children

Hi all, thanks for your suggestions. The 'Butchery' sounds good we shall look into it. We are staying in Franz Josef but are actually doing a glacier walk at Fox and can see that FJ is mostly pubs, looks like a supermarket shop and an evening cooking our own gourmet meal will be in order there ! Has anybody eaten at Hotel d'urville or the Accents in Blenheim - they have good reviews it seems.

Very excited about our trip.

Thank you

8. Re: eating out with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 05:15