We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to rent a car?

California
Level Contributor
55 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to rent a car?

I'm going to visit NZ in December and planning is half the fun, so I'm starting to think about it a little bit now.

Do I need to rent a car or can I get around via trains and buses? I want to spend a lot of time in parks.

Thanks in advance

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Hi there

Renting a car is by far the most flexible and enjoyable way to see the country.

You can get to most places on buses (trains not so much, the train service in NZ is very limited).

The problem with relying on buses is that the schedules can be limiting and once you arrive in a town, you still then need to be able to get out to the parks and other areas for attractions and activities.

It is possible to do most things, but you will be constantly frustrated if you don't have a car....

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,017 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

Further to Andychefs comments I am assuming that by Parks you meaning National Parks and the awesome NZ wildnerness and scenic beauty. If this is the case a car will be essential as one wont get public transport, unless provided by a tourist operator, into our remote outdoors.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

We are taking our first family trip in 6 weeks there. My hubby is from New Zealand. He says a car is the best way to go. We opted for a campervan. We are using Juiy rentals.. :) It worked out to be about the same price as a car rental on some of the sites and you even get more freedom with not having to worry about having a place to say.

4. Re: Do I need to rent a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 06:19