We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Opinions please

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Opinions please

Hi All

Looking for someone to cast their experienced eye over our itinerary if possible. 2 adults both sharing the driving. We have a week in Wellington with family, but can take a night/day off this if need be!

Monday 16/12/2013 Auckland arrive 12 noon - drive to Bay of Islands

Tuesday 17/12/2013 Bay of Islands

Wednesday 18/12/2013 Auckland / Coromandel

Thursday 19/12/2013 Auckland / Coromandel

Friday 20/12/2013 Rotorua

Saturday 21/12/2013 Rotorua

Sunday 22/12/2013 Taupo

Monday 23/12/2013 Drive to Wellington - via Napier

Tuesday 24/12/2013 Wellington

Wednesday 25/12/2013 Wellington

Thursday 26/12/2013 Wellington

Friday 27/12/2013 Wellington

Saturday 28/12/2013 Wellington

Sunday 29/12/2013 Wellington

Monday 30/12/2013 Ferry, drive to Kaikoura

Tuesday 31/12/2013 Kaikoura

Wednesday 01/01/2014 Christchurch

Thursday 02/01/2014 Dunedin

Friday 03/01/2014 Dunedin

Saturday 04/01/2014 Te Anau

Sunday 05/01/2014 Te Anau - Day Trip to Milford sound

Monday 06/01/2014 Queenstown

Tuesday 07/01/2014 Queenstown or Wanaka

Wednesday 08/01/2014 Franz Joseph

Thursday 09/01/2014 Franz Josef Glacier Heli trip

Friday 10/01/2014 Christchurch

Saturday 11/01/2014 Christchurch - Fly home

Many Thanks!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
2,076 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Opinions please

Monday 16/12/2013 Auckland arrive 12 noon - drive to Bay of Islands

- flying in from where? Not recommended to get off international flight then drive on unfamiliar roads etc. Suggest you stay the night in Auckland then head up to Bay of Islands Tues 17Dec. Maybe take a day from Rotorua to add on to Bay of Islands?

Sunday 22/12/2013 Taupo

Monday 23/12/2013 Drive to Wellington - via Napier

- suggest you drive Rotorua to Taupo (max 1hr), have lunch and or swim, then drive on to Napier (2 hrs); therefore Sunday 22Dec is afternoon/night in Napier.

Monday 23Dec drive Napier to Wellington

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
212 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Opinions please

I'd skip Bay of Islands. As previous reply said, you'll need to recover from your flight. Also, the Coromandel is lovely - spend an extra day there.

18 &19 - Is this Auckland or Coromandel? Personally, I'd skip Auckland.

Why are you going via Napier? All you're going to do is drive through it. Go down SH1 instead - maybe consider a detour along the Forgotten Highway.

I'd also skip Dunedin - and Christchurch for that matter. Consider heading to Hamner Springs, checking out Mt Cook and spending more time in and around Queenstown/Wanaka areas.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Opinions please

Thanks, I will have another look at our route tonight!

We are flying in from the UK but stopping over in Singapore, so should have semi recovered from the time difference.

Auckland
Level Contributor
57 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Opinions please

As most people have said, I'd skip Auckland and only spend one night in Dunedin. Christchurch maybe of some interest because its our most English city. You can do a behind the scenes Earthquake tour.

http://redbus.co.nz/new-zealand/redzonetour/

I'd also consider heading to Fox Glacier after Franz and visit Lake Matheson, it is simply breath taking on a sunny, still day.

http://www.lakematheson.com/

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Opinions please

Thanks for the link, I have added to my list of things to do!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Opinions please

If I were you, I would spend just one night in Auckland on Wed 18/12 and spend the day driving and staying at Mt. Manganui/ Tauranga, on the way to Rotorua. Hamilton could be an option, but there isn't alot to do there and it is a very vast and big town. You would probably need 2 nights at rotorua, having been there myself, I really enjoyed Rotorua and there alot of things to do.

On 31/12, i'd go to Hanmer Springs instead of Kaikoura. One night in Christchurch is good on the way to Dunedin. However, I would spend just one night at Dunedin after a long drive from Christchurch, On that friday tour Dunedin for half the day then drive up to Queenstown in the afternoon. In my opinion, you will definitely need more than one or two nights in Queenstown/Wanaka especially Queenstown having been there myself, It will be the highlight of your south island trip as well as the heli.

Having said this, Personally I would skip staying or touring in Te Anau, there isn't alot to see besides the gloworms, just drive from Queenstown to Milford Sound early in a morning. You probably just need one full day and night at Wanaka.

I would stay at Queenstown until the tuesday, then go to wanaka on wednesday, and move up the heli trip to your last few days instead of another night at Christchurch so i'd stay at christchurch the night before you leave.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Opinions please

Singapore is still a long flight - best not drive on arrival in Auckland.

My suggestion

16 arrive Auckland, explore

17 drive to Coromandel

18 explore

19 drive to Rotorua

20 explore

21 drive to Taupo

22 drive to Wellington

23/27 family

28 ferry to Picton, drive to Kaikoura

29 drive to Chch

30 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook

31 drive Lindis Pass to Queenstown - fab drive

1 explore

2 drive to Te Anau

3 explore Milford, stay Te Anau

4 drive to Dunedin

5 explore

6 drive to Wanaka

7 explore

8 drive Haast Pass to Franz Josef

9 explore

10 drive Arthur's Pass to Chch

11 fly home

hope this helps :)

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Opinions please

Thank you very much for this, very helpful :-)

9. Re: Itinerary Opinions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2014, 07:16