We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to book my flight to NZ.

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to book my flight to NZ.

Hello, I'm gonna be to New Zealand at the beginning of June to WWOOF and backpack around the country. As ever, the theme of this trip is "as cheap as possible". Does anyone know what the best time is to book my tickets in advance?

I looked at tkt prices 4 days ago for a flight into Auckland and then again today and the prices had jumped $70-130 dollars. Will they continue to rise or will there be a drop before I leave??

Let me know any tips or tricks that might be helpful!

Thanks much!!

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,956 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to book my flight to NZ.

talk the local travel agents in the state that you're booking from. Pricing, high/ low seasons for sales are completely different around the world, and there are many factors that influence the cost.

June is winter in NZ, but its northern hemisphere summer. Demand/ prices may go up with people heading south once school breaks up for summer vacations. First week of May and Mid-August are long national holidays in Japan, so prices for all flights out of Japan to anywhere skyrocket for those periods, no matter when you buy them. Christmas/ New Years are popular travel periods worldwide, so again, prices are high.

Some countries/ airlines release tickets for sale well in advance, others only three months. Some countries/ agents can offer cheaper prices last-minute to fill seats, others don't.

Again... best is to talk to your local travel agents ask them, they're ticketing, so they know what's happening with prices.

Also, be flexible in dates and flying routes... If you're willing to stopover for hours in random places, you can often get cheaper flights (though then you could end up travelling for days to get to NZ!).

2. Re: Best time to book my flight to NZ.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 06:17