We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Airline is Best

South Dakota
13 posts
Save Topic
Which Airline is Best

Which airline is the best to fly on (comfort, leg room, food, etc.) when flying from Los Angeles or San Francisco to Auckland?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,430 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Airline is Best

Air NZ :)

and make it easy on yourselves and fly business class - it really is worth it.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,846 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Airline is Best

Hi,

The safety briefing on Air NZ flights is worth the ticket price on its' own ;-).

Cheers

Edited: 04 February 2013, 00:27
Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Airline is Best

Definitely AirNZ Business Premier. Comfortable 'beds' and good food and wine. And yes,the safety briefings are always interesting.

Auckland
Level Contributor
493 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Airline is Best

Air New Zealand - even the food is nice! and the selection of New Zealand wine is pretty good as well.

California
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Airline is Best

Hi Mummygoat, or anyone else who cares to reply. I've wondered about the ANZ Business Premier seating. For international flights, it's set up herringbone style for privacy. If two people travel together, husband and wife, what seats allow you to talk to one another during flight?

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Airline is Best

Hi Dec

If you are flying from SFO to AKL and flying business, try to get seats on the 747 service. If you can wangle seating in the nose section of the 747 (Usually reserved for people with Star Alliance status), specifically the front row, the seats are very close to one another. Other services it the USA are on 777's and the seats do not get as close.

An alternative if you do want to talk to your partner is to have one of you sit on the ottoman footrest (It has as seatbelt) you can even share a meal there. A few years ago I did this when on a flight to Hong Kong with my wife. Not overly comfy for a long period of time, but OK for short periods.

Personally I like the peace and quiet you get in these cabins because people are not having conversations too often. It has enabled me to get some serious sleep when flying either by myself or with my wife.

As the cabins are pretty quiet it is not too much of a problem to chat across the ailse if need be as you will not have to raise your voice at all.

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Airline is Best

Hi Dec2259 We'll be travelling in the business cabin for the third time later on this year,flying through LA.This route flies the 777 300 and has the newer enhanced cabin with deeper mattresses for more comfort when the seat is in bed mode.

We prefer to sit on the side,one if front of the other.Because of the angle it is difficult to see out of the window but there is not much to see flying over the ocean. My husband usually comes and sits on my ottoman and we discuss menu and film choices etc.but otherwise it is not easy to make general chit chat.My husband is quite tall and can turn his head and see over the back of the seat if he needs to speak to me.

Some people prefer to sit across the aisle from one another and the two front seats are nearer each other but are also nearer the galley if this is a bother.We have booked seats 3 & 4A for our upcoming trip which are sort of mid way in the first cabin.This first cabin also does not have any bassinets although that does not guarantee no screaming toddlers! Our last flight back from Auckland had a very distressed little girl on board although the flight attendant did her best to pacify her.

I would not fly such a long flight from the UK without being able to lie down flat and I love the friendliness of the AirNZ crew.

If you go on to Seat guru you can see the lay out of the cabins for this aircraft with any comments about the seats but there isn't really a bad seat.

Hope this helps with your choice.

California
Level Contributor
8,164 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Airline is Best

Thank you both, you've been very helpful.

I had noticed pictures of the footrest being used as a seat for a partner during meals, so that's quite nice. And when I think of it, we both don the headphones and do our own thing through most of a flight anyway. We've used miles for upgrades to lie-flat seats in the past, and it makes a huge difference on how you adjust upon arrival. They had always been the face-forward kind of arrangement and not the pods.

9. Re: Which Airline is Best

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 07:15