We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
8 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

Kia ora!

My fiancee and I will be honeymooning in New Zealand in December, round trip Seattle to Auckland. We were planning on booking Air New Zealand but just found out that Hawaiian Air is offering flights starting in March. Which airline would you choose?

Hawaiian Air is about $375 cheaper each way, so we'd save $1400, but we'd miss out on the "International flight" experience. A stop in Honolulu vs. LA means we're on two shorter 767/A330 trips vs the longer 777. Our thought is the $1400 is worth the "upgrade", but we haven't flown either airline or plane.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

I haven't flown Hawaiian Air on an international sector so can't comment on them.

Air NZ is a renowned airline, often winning major travel awards, including world airline of the year in 2012 as well as in previous years. Air NZ is always my first choice.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

I found the 777 to be extremely uncomfortable in economy, as the legroom is non-existent. I'd have to get up and take a walk around the cabin every two to three hours the entire trip from LA to Auckland. With that said, the service on AirNZ is awesome and they actually have really good meals (never thought I'd say that about airline food). If you can get on an AirNZ 747 flight it's the best of both worlds though: much more leg room and great service and meals.

Edited: 09 February 2013, 22:08
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

Nice beers too on the AirNZ flights.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,296 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

But a $1400 saving would persuade me to go on Hawaiian. The Air New Zealand flight doesn't give you a $1400 worth experience of being in New Zealand - the main point of difference is the safety video, but you can watch it on Youtube. Whatever the food and beer on the flight (and I recently flew the Auckland Honolulu sector before catching an Air Alaska flight), you'll get plenty when you're actually here (and will have that $1400 with which you can have a splurge or three).

Having said all that, I just had the best flight of my life on an airline from which I expected nothing - I flew LAX to Sydney on Air Pacific (soon to relaunch as Fiji Air with new planes - and you'll get an equally international experience. They're likely to be even cheaper than Hawaiian.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

Perhaps HikingAndy is referring to the opportunity cost of the time he'd lose by making an extra stop in Hawaii when he calls the flight straight to Auckland the upgrade. If we're just looking straight money, then yeah, the Hawaiian flight seems to win, no contest. But will that flight require overnight stays or long waits in the airport in Hawaii?

Edited: 10 February 2013, 17:24
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
157 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

When looking for our up coming trip in December, we saw the Hawaii stop over as well, but everything we saw was overnight layovers. As much as we love Hawaii, it just wasn't worth it to us (in terms of our time).

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

I have just stumbled onto this subject. On the 21st March my husband and I fly Hawaiian Air to SFO, via Honolulu, we are stopping for 6 days in Hawaii on our way there but only a four hour stopover on our way back. We have only flown Air NZ before to SFO and return, the beauty is that the flight is at night both ways. Air NZ offers alternative meals, Hawaiian Air does not. I personally would always choose Air NZ, but this time we took the pricing of Hawaiian before Air NZ dropped theirs. I will put a message on Trip Adviser once I have experienced Hawaiian Air. HikinAndy I wish you a fabulous honeymoon in New Zealand, we are a fabulous country.

California
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

I have travelled on Air New Zealand economy from Sfo to Auckland. There were a lot of people, no empty seats. The experience was wonderful. There is a concierge on board, as well as flight attendants trained to deal with babies and kids on long flights. We had many excellent meals and were also encouraged to get up, and walk around anytime. The kitchen was open anytime a person needed a snack, water, tea,coffee. They encouraged us to help ourselves. Every seat has a built in entertainment center. I am a senior citizen and the flight was excellent. My daughter has flown on both Air NZ and Hawaiian Air to Auckland She lives in NZ. She prefers Air New Zealand, but is grateful for the cheaper flight thru Hawaii when she has the time.

9. Re: Hawaiian Air vs. Air New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 05:18