We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the best place to ski and hot spring in New Zealand

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the best place to ski and hot spring in New Zealand

I've never been skiing before but am thinking about it this winter in New Zealand. Well, I'd like to snow board I think. Anyway, is there anywhere that you can ski during the day and then jump in thermal springs afterwards? I know Hanmer Springs, but is there anywhere else?

Waimangu Volcanic Valley
Hot Springs & Geysers, Volcanoes, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Geologic Formations
The Lost Spring
Hot Springs & Geysers
Te Puia
Hot Springs & Geysers, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the best place to ski and hot spring in New Zealand

Taupe definitely, and there might be some thermal pools closer to the ski fields. The North Island ski fields are on an active volcano after all.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the best place to ski and hot spring in New Zealand

Quick Google has thermal pools at Turangi, which is closer to the Whakapapa and Turoa ski fields on Ruapehu.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the best place to ski and hot spring in New Zealand

I'm not posting just to increase my post count, honest. There are pools near Coronet Peak in Queenstown called Onsen Hot Pools. Queenstown is a fantastic place to go skiing as it has a great après ski scene, and plenty of things to do when you don't want to ski.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,921 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the best place to ski and hot spring in New Zealand

Also in the south island Hanmer springs ski Area and the Hanmer thermal pools are just awesome. Hanmer is a really nice tourist village. Awesome restaurants, great holiday homes for hire or motels.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the best place to ski and hot spring in New Zealand

Thanks for your advice! This is great, I'll research these suggestions.

6. Re: Where is the best place to ski and hot spring in New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2014, 06:17