We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 weeks in New Zealand in November

Limerick, Ireland
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2-3 weeks in New Zealand in November

Hi, I will be spending 2-3 weeks in New Zealand in November, and am looking for some advice:

Ideally I would like to travel both islands...will 2-3 weeks be enough? Or would I be better focusing on just one island? I don't want to be on the move so much that I can't get to really experience where I am, but yet I don't want to miss out on places.

I am female and will be travelling on my own. In November, I will have just turned 40. I want to travel in a way that I get to meet other travellers so I've been looking at companies such as The Magic Bus and Kiwi Experience. I'm concerned though that the age profile might be very young! Is this the case? Are there other companies (reasonably priced!) or other ways of travelling that I should consider?

Finally (for now!) what will the weather be like in November?

All advice welcome!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 weeks in New Zealand in November

Weather in November is quite good, its usually quite warm so you can do some swimming (Auckland, Northland beaches). The daylight is long enough and it is not as turisty as in summer months. I personally think that November, late February and March are the best time to travel in Nz.

Three weeks should be enough for both islands if you stay for 2 nights in major places.

Can't say anything about the companies you are looking for though

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,988 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 weeks in New Zealand in November

Welcome to the fourm E :)

I haven't used any of the bus companies so can't comment on who uses them. Another to consider is Stray.

The problem I see with bus travel is that the majority of each travel day will be spent on the bus. Have you also considered doing an organised tour? Flying Kiwi might suit you.

And yes, if taking the bus or driving then 3 weeks should allow time to cover the basics with one week for the North Island and two weeks for the larger South Island.

Happy planning :)

Mentioned in this post
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
California
Level Contributor
9,592 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 weeks in New Zealand in November

The only experience I've had with Kiwi Experience is trying to share Spa Park near Taupo with them. It's a very young crowd and there was lots of beer and wine. (not us - them!)

We ran into a bus from The Stray while at Karioi Lodge in Raglan and Old Macs in Marahau. They were a much quieter crowd and the age range a bit more diverse - one that a 40-year old would fit better into.

4. Re: 2-3 weeks in New Zealand in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2014, 05:16