We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

Hello,

I plan on going to New Zealand in July, So fly out July the 6th and arrive in Queesntown July 7th, check into hotel etc and then i am yet to decide where to fly out of, (i was thinking fly out of Christchurch? for convenience of making my way up to the north to visit things like fox glacier/mt cook.

My itinerary is just quick custom template typed up one for you all to reply back your recommendations.

We all want to see many of NZ breathtaking sights, but we don't want to be tired and feel like we are running around every and have it all cramped in one.

In the Itinarary i will need atleast 3-4 days of Skiing reserved, should i start it off skiing or just get right into the exploring?

You see the hardest part is choicing what to do day 2 in Queenstown as i don't want to waste it nor do i want to go on a long drive out in that quickly into my trip

Day 1, Arrive in Queenstown, check into hotel, checkout queenstown that evening.

Day 2. See sights around Queenstown like take a ride up the Gondola, do things within town.

Day 3.Continue exploring QT etc etc

Day 4: Snow Skiing

Day 5: Snow Skiing

Day 6: Snow Skiing (Wanaka or something? )

Day 7: Milford Sound

Day 8, Move out of Queenstown and start going up north

Day 9:

Day 10:

Day 11:

Day 12: Return back to Aus (Via Queenstown or Christchurch?)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,473 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

Welcome to the Forum. Flying out of CHC is very sensible given your short stay. Here would be my 2 suggestions:

1. & 2. Explore QTN

3. & 4. Skiing

5. Explore QTN, AM ; PM drive to Te Anau (2N)

6. Te Anau to Milford Sound & back to Te Anau

7. Te Anau to Wanaka (2N)

8. Ski Wamaka

9. Wanaka to Fox Glacier (2N)

10. Explore Glaciers

11. Glaciers to Chch

12. Fly home

or, less driving

1-8 as above

9. Wanaka to Mt Cook

10. Explore Mt Cook or continue on to Lake Tekapo

11. Mt Cook or Tekapo to Christchurch

An alternative if the skiing is good and to reduce driving would be to swap the 2 nights in Te Anau for an long day tour by coach from QTN to Milford Sound.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

1. & 2. Explore QTN Locked in ***

3. & 4. Skiing Locked in ***

5. Explore QTN, AM ; PM drive to Te Anau (2N) *** Locked in

6. Te Anau to Milford Sound & back to Te Anau

Questions: Is there much to see in Te Anau ? And is Te Anau to Milford sound a much better route then going from Queenstown?

8. Ski Wamaka

9. Wanaka to Fox Glacier (2N)

I really wanted to do Franz Joseph Glacier and Mt Cook (Helicopter flight) Is this possible?

10. Explore Glaciers

11. Glaciers to Chch

12. Fly home

or, less driving

California
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

Going to Milford Sound from Queenstown adds 4 hours of driving than from Te Anau. But when I say driving, I don't suggest you do it. Please take a coach tour. Let them have the liability to get you there safely and back. It's 9 hours coach-cruise-coach from/to Te Anau, or 13 hours from/to Queenstown. The coach will stop at Te Anau on the Queenstown tour. If you overnight in Te Anau, you could do the glowworm cave tour. Te Anau is a pretty location and you might enjoy the change of scenery. But if you're not one to pack and unpack, do it from Queenstown.

If I were going to do a scenic flight over the glaciers and Mount Cook, this is the one I'd do:

www.glacieradventures.co.nz/our-flights.php

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,473 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

Jacob, with your time limit, you can't do both the West Coast Glaciers AND Mt Cook, but you can easily sustitute FJG for Fox on the itinerary #1 I suggested - only 20 minutes up the road.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

Fox and Franz is on one side of the Southern Alps, Aoraki/Mt Cook is on the other, with a 2 day car trip to get from one side to the other.

And yes, if going to Milford Sound you first must pass through Te Anau - there is no other road to choose from. If staying in Te Anau you can also visit the glow worm caves and see the short film Ata Whenua.

Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

If money isn't a major issue consider a flight over the glaciers (Air Safaris). Well worth the cost and make sure the camera battery is charged and ready. Also, think about leaving your car at Greymouth and catch the train over the Alps to Christchurch. This is one of the world's great train rides but in July it might be less or more spectacular - it will depend on the weather.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

Updates Itinerary****

1. Explore Queenstown

2. Explore Queenstown

3. Skiing (Queenstown)

4. Skiing (Queenstown)

5. Explore Queenstown/Arrow town in morning/afternoon at 2~ 3pm drive to Te Anau (stay there for 2 nights/3days) visit the Glow Worm Caves that evening.

6. Te Anau to Milford Sound & back to Te Anau (Day Trip)

8. Ski Wanaka

9. Ski Wanaka during day, evening go to Fox Glacier (2N)

10. Explore Glaciers

-Fox Glacier, Franz Joseph Glaciers.

11. Glaciers to Christchurch via Arthurs Pass.

12. Fly home From Perth

California
Level Contributor
7,330 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

Day 9 is a big no-no! Driving Wanaka to either Fox or FJ is an all day trip. The road is twisty-turny and not something you want to do once the sun goes down in the winter! I think waiting to tackle it after skiing and making the drive in the evening is out. (or to quote WanakaLakes, "Madness!") Devote the entire day to the drive and enjoy stops along the way.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

Nope, this won't do.

Points to consider -

- best not drive the Miflord Road, it has a high number of tourist accidents year round, more so in the winter months due to ice, snow and avalanche issues. Add to that black ice - you can't see it - you don't know you've encountered it till you begin sliding sideways off the side of the road - and few roads in NZ have guardrails.

- don't even think of driving Wanaka to Fox in the evening - it is suicidal. The drive usually takes visitors 6 hours if stopping for a short walk - it can be done in 4 hours by those familiar with the road which is often narrow, twisty and steep, plus has about 20 one lane bridges to negotiate. Add to this potential snow and ice (expect the overnight temp to be well below freezing) and the drive could take twice as long. Driving Wanaka to Fox is a trip you plan to begin at 10am - not 6pm.

the drive Franz - Arthur's Pass - Chch is also overlong in winter conditions. Best broken into two days.

one suggestion;

1/2/3/4 Queenstown

5 bus/cruise Milford Sound, bus or scenic flight back to Queenstown

6 drive to Wanaka

7 ski

8 drive Haast Pass to Fox - a 10am start

9 explore

10 drive to Hokitika

11 drive to Christchurch via Arthurs Pass or Lewis Pass - depending on conditions

12 fly home

please plan wisely and travel safe:)

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Zealand for 12 Days (Mid July) Itinerary help!

Hi Dec :)

Driving Haast Pass in the dark mid-winter elevates the warning from 'madness' to 'suicidal' !!