We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backpack Issue 25 Days in NZ, 25 in Australia, 25 in SE Asia

Shamong, New...
11 posts
Save Topic
Backpack Issue 25 Days in NZ, 25 in Australia, 25 in SE Asia

Hey I have some very last minute questions about my pack that I'm bringing for my South Pacific trip coming up. Unfortunately, I have to act fast because I leave on Thursday (terrible planning on my part). I currently have the 75 L Osprey Meridian TravelPak and I'm second guessing myself about the size because now that I have it all packed up, I still have plenty of room left.

I ignored multiple suggestions from friends and travel blogs/forums about getting a smaller pack and bought into this pack because it packs up like a suitcase and has the ability to be rolled along as well as worn as a backpack. Also, it has a detachable 20L day pack that I thought would be perfect for carrying on flights or wearing around during day hikes.

I am on a tight budget and will be staying in hostels and doing a bit of couch surfing. The time that I anticipate running into the most problems with too big of a pack is when I go hiking in NZ. My initial goal was to hike the Milford Track but given my last minute scrambling that I'm going through right now, I don't even know if that's feasible anymore.

Any and all advice is welcome, as I'm sure you can tell this is my first time going on a trip like this, I'll be traveling alone, and I'm currently panicking a bit. Thanks!!

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backpack Issue 25 Days in NZ, 25 in Australia, 25 in SE Asia

You will be delighted that you have a big pack - I can guarantee it will soon be crammed full as soon as you start travelling - if your pack is really an issue for doing 1 or 2 day hikes, then you will probably find someone who will lend you one or figure it out somehow.

Shamong, New...
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Backpack Issue 25 Days in NZ, 25 in Australia, 25 in SE Asia

Thanks, that's helpful. Is there anything that you think I'll be able to do with the pack to cut down on weight/size when I go on overnight hikes? Ex: leaving the day pack in a locker somewhere?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,139 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backpack Issue 25 Days in NZ, 25 in Australia, 25 in SE Asia

In NZ you'll find that this is a pretty common issue when people go tramping. Most backpackers ' hostels will hold your big pack for a day or two until you come back ( assuming you stayed there of course!).

Regarding weight in your pack ... You will not need a sleeping bag if staying only in hostels, but you will if you plan to do overnight tramps and it would be helpful when couch-surfing. You will need a compact towel for all three.

For the Milford Track, have you looked at the online bookings - generally the season fills up many months ahead but you might be able to find a cancellation for one person. Do consider the Routeburn or Kepler as equally good alternatives. The Kepler is cheaper as no shuttles are required ( it is a circular route).

Edited: 05 March 2013, 23:17
4. Re: Backpack Issue 25 Days in NZ, 25 in Australia, 25 in SE Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 06:16