We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 weeks in New Zealand...help!:)

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
3 weeks in New Zealand...help!:)

We are flying into Auckland 10/31 and leaving from Auckland on 11/20. We will be with another couple and have the flights booked...and that is it. None of us have any idea of what to do, where to stay or what to see. We just know we want to visit because we have heard great things from everyone who visits. Any itinerary tips, good hotels (am not seeing any familiar US chain hotels), transportation ideas would be very helpful. I'm counting on all you who live or have visited the area. Thanks so much!

California
Level Contributor
6,612 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 weeks in New Zealand...help!:)

Hi Jammer,

In NZ, they write dates by dd/mm/yy. You might want to advise the experts as to what kinds of things you're interested in. Hiking? LOTR? Photography? Wines? Wildlife? Plus, what ages are the four of you, and will you be renting a car to drive yourself (recommended)?

Generally, I'd say to make your way down the North Island and then through the South Island. Find a regional flight from Queenstown back to Auckland to connect with your flight home. If you come up with a general itinerary, post it here and the experts will be happy to tweak it a bit to get the most of your trip.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
5 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 weeks in New Zealand...help!:)

Thanks! We are all early 60's, enjoy wine, walking, wildlife and good food. We will be renting a car. Any good hotel ideas are welcome.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
9,963 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 weeks in New Zealand...help!:)

Thanks to advice here, I learned about discount flights on Air New Zealand at http://grabaseat.co.nz/

I watched the prices daily (email alerts), and when I found the places and dates I wanted, I was able to grab two great deals.

We are similar age and interests but going in the winter. Here is our route with where we are staying:

Aukland, Christchurch, Hokitika, Fox Glacier, Wanaka, Te Anau, Queenstown, Mt. Cook, Christchurch. Many of these are for multiple nights. We are spending 19 nights in New Zealand altogether.

Edited: 12 March 2013, 20:31
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 weeks in New Zealand...help!:)

Rather than trying to drive there AND back, consider flying directly to CHC on the day you arrive; spend 2weeks driving around the SI ( think of the shape of the letters "b" or "d") and one week driving from WLG to AKL:

Chch to Mt Cook to Queenstown -Te Anau/Milford Sound - Dunedin -- Wanaka - the Glaciers - Punakaiki - Nelson - Marlborough/Picton with 2nights in 4-5 places; ferry to WLG-Napier-Taupo-Rotorua-Waitomo Caves-AKL.

Or, if you want to include whales, reverse the SI:

Chch - Punakaiki- Glaciers- Wanaka-Dunedin-Te Anau/Milford Sound- Queenstown-Mt Cook -Chch - Kaikoura-Blenheim/Picton

5. Re: 3 weeks in New Zealand...help!:)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2014, 04:17