We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad magic bus experience

Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Bad magic bus experience

I'm an Asian traveling with a friend in NZ. On 3/19, I scheduled a pick up from Nelson to Greymouth with the Magic Bus. It was somewhat early in the morning around 8 o'clock. When the driver, SOAP, arrived, each of the passengers had to give our names so he could check us in. Me and my friend were the last to do so, therefore I went up to the driver to show him our names. However, he looked at me and said "u r eating, I'm not talking to u" then walked away angrily to get the name from my friend first. After like 10 seconds, he was done with my friend and needed my name; so he came up to me again (while I was still trying to swallow my food). Since he didn't want to talk to me while I was eating, so I just told him I was still chewing. Then he started mumbled, "if u wanna get on the road, better cooperate." Seriously, that was what I tried to do at the first place. I could just pointed out my name like the previous one did without speaking at all.

Then we went on to pick more people so we could headed to our destination. Around one pick up point, he saw his friend walking on the street. So he got off to chat with his friend and had a smoke. We waited 10mins for his cigarette break.

Alone the way, he told us about the activities that we could sign up once we arrive. He even told us the activities owned by his friends (which had nothing to do with Magic) out of courtesy for us to sign up. Since one of my must-do is climbing up the Fox glacier, me and my friend quickly signed up the sheet. At one break stop, he asked people to give out credit card info so he could booked us in. An Asian couple were standing in front of us and they passed their card to him. Mr. Soap wrote down the credit card no. on the sheet then flipped over to write down the security code. When they saw it, they simply asked him to scratch it off and cancel the booking caz they didn't want their credit card info to be passed around on a piece of paper. When the driver heard the request, he just stormed off and told everybody to get on the bus so we could leave. He started driving ruthlessly, sometimes even hands off the wheel to scratch off the info on a seemingly windy road. All of the sudden, he stopped the bus, pulled over and asked a guy for a lighter. He got on the side road and started burning the sheet. We were shocked by his reckless behavior. Then he got on the bus, put the microphone on and started saying "in Mouri, there is a word "mana," if you do not understand, just google it. People with "mana" are the "good men." For some culture, those people have no trust and do not possess the "mana." He went on and on about it and insulted Asians. It seemed pretty suspicious he would react this way over such a small thing. At the next break point, he threatened us if we did not come back on time, he would definitely leave us behind. So we all came back accordingly, but Mr. Soap just sat there, drank his coffee, made the whole bus waited for him for 15 mins.

I do not understand what kind of person he is, but I can certainly tell, he obviously do not understand the English word "manner." He did not respect Asians let alone their cultures or even his job. So think twice if u are going to book a tour from Magic and I surly hope the Magic people can do something about this awful driver, SOAP.

Mentioned in this post
Nelson
Nelson
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Greymouth
Greymouth
West Coast Region, New Zealand
Fox Glacier
Fox Glacier
Westland National Park (Te Wahipounamu), New Zealand
Archer Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Carrington Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Bike Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bad magic bus experience

Global-Travels, unlike many I do not instantly disregard a first time poster because they have posted a negative comment. Yes some first time posters will post a negative comment which stretches the truth, however those same posters are conspicuous by their absence to answer any questions put to them. This is a real world we live in and people do from time to time have a negative experience, I am not so proud that I would disregard all negatives and believe that all is rosy. Whether or not the 'story' is fiction or fact, I still condem the actions of the driver. I would like think though that this is an isolated incident and not all Magic drivers behave in this manner, and it is appropriate that the incident is reported directly to Magic, and I do understand her concern that she may become subject to further harrasment. Vivichichi has done the correct thing and with your help has emailed Magic with a report of her experience. NZ may be a multi Cultural country, but we do have some bigots in this country who cannot help themselve from demontrating such bigotry. Yes I do believe Vivichichi, and I do not need to be there to belive. I hope that helps you to understand my response

12. Re: Bad magic bus experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2015, 15:05
New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,418 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bad magic bus experience

Even reputable companies are sometimes let down by their staff. Obviously Magic Bus has now been informed and can judge the matter for themselves, then take whatever action they deem necessary.

As a general comment, I absolutely understand why someone might not complain at the time, out of a desire to avoid confrontation or further unpleasantness.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bad magic bus experience

Not to address this topic specifically (which sounds terrible), but I tend to think it's not too surprising that lots of 1st time posters have negative reviews. Don't know why, but it just seems a part of human nature to want to review any place you have a bad experience with first. I know when I got back from NZ I had a spectacular time everywhere, but the first thing I checked was to see if I could write a scathing review of the hideous cafe in the hotel in Otira (strangely there is no review page for it here). This was despite the fact that EVERY other meal I had (even counting the ones on Air New Zealand) ranged from very good to truly incredible. Maybe it's something in the back of my mind that tells me I need to warn people first and foremost (the meal I had in Otira was easily the worst thing I had eaten in at least 5 years). For whatever reason a restaurant/hotel/attraction/tour that turns out bad is a lot more likely to get reviewed than one that was pretty good. Maybe it's the desire we all have for revenge?

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
15. Re: Bad magic bus experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 March 2013, 10:01
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,895 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bad magic bus experience

SpursFan_17 I had to laugh a little at your post. I drive past the Otira Hotel almost every day. We popped in one evening when heading home one evening on a private journey, and yes, It failed to meet our expectaions. However I did not write any review of my experience. I was talking with the owner last week he tells me he is rather hopeful to be sold by June 2013. he has been trying to sell for some time and no one has bought as yet.

Whayt I am saying is, some peole will post only for something which has really got under their collar, while others like to post for when things offered exemplary service, then there are those who just like posting reviews.

Level Contributor
16 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bad magic bus experience

Hello guys,

I only posted it in hope that the driver would be more respectful for people other than his color. I don't want him to get fired or anything. And yes, all other drivers were nice enough to help me whenever I have a question. Mr. Soap was an extreme case and should be educated with the proper way of treating people. What happened was awful enough and shouldn't happen again in any way possible.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bad magic bus experience

SpursFan -

You can add businesses to TA yourself, and then post a review once it's been added. Just follow the prompts under Write a Review.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Bad magic bus experience

I have tried adding new attractions in the past and the page never got setup.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,477 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Bad magic bus experience

Huh. Maybe it's different for attractions. I add new restaurants and accommodation all the time.