We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Island itinerary

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
South Island itinerary

Hi guys, i'm planning to visit south island of new zealand in end of april and this is my itinerary:

1st day Arrive in Christchurch Airport. Today activities are the following:

• Gondola to see the whole Christchurch

• Check out Victoria Square, Cathedral Square, Cashel Street

• Akaroa beach

• International Antartic Centre & Air Force Museum (to be decide)

• Stay overnight in Christchurch

2nd Day

• Still deciding whether to drive or train to hokitika? any suggestion???

• Check out Hokitika Gorge Scenic Reserve

• Dorothy Waterfalls and drive to Franz Josef Glacier

• Stay overnight in Franz Josef Glacier

3rd Day

• Franz Josef Glacier helicopter tours

• Travel via the Haast Pass

• Thunder Creek Falls

• Trio Lakes of Waneka,Hawea and Dunstan

• Visit gold mining town Arrowtown

• Stay Overnight in Queenstown

4th Day

• Walter peak bbq lunch

• Free time in Queenstown (Checkout bungy jumping & Winery)

• Skyline and kiwi haka

• Stay overnight in Queenstown

5th Day

• Travel to Te Anau via Fiordland Natural Park

• Cruise on Milford Sound

• TeAnau Glowworm Caves tour

• Stay overnight in Te Anau

6th Day

• Travel to Dunedin

• Visit Cadbury Chocolate Factory

• Dunedin Railway Station

• Check out Tunnel Beach

• Baldwin Street

• Stay overnight in Dunedin

7th Day

• Larnach castle & garden

• Travel to Twizel

8th Day

• Travel to Mt Cook

• Check out mt cook

• Lake Pukaki

• Church of the Good Shepherd at Lake Tekapo

• Drive to the Christchurch airport

These all my itinerary, just wondering whether anything that i missed or any suggestion regarding my trip.

Thanks in advance for the time

Heli Glenorchy
Sightseeing Tours, Ski & Snow Tours, Air Tours, Private Tours, Helicopter Tours
Heletranz Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Air Tours, Day Trips
Wanaka River Journeys
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Helicopter Tours, Boat Tours
Level Contributor
9,269 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Island itinerary

I think you are really underestimating drive times and how long you will be left on each day to do the activities you have selected.

Day 1 - When does your flight arrive? Akaroa is an hour and a half away from Christchurch, not just a quick side trip - you need to allow at least 4 hours and most people make a whole day of it.

Day 3 - It's about 6 hours driving from the glaciers to Wanaka, and another hour to Queenstown. That doesn't leave much time for the helicopter in the morning.

Day 5 - Queenstown - cruise Milford - Te Anau takes at least 10 hours. When will you have time to do a 2.5 hour glowworm tour?

Day 6 - You only have allowed yourself a half day in Dunedin. That's a long ways to go for so little time.

Day 8 - When is your flight out? You have over 5 hours of driving planned. What are you hoping to do at Mt Cook and how much time have you allowed for it?

I think you should pare down the list and possibly drop the Dunedin detour.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,857 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Island itinerary

Welcome to the forum - just as well you checked in here as yikes, too much crammed into too few days.

Can you extend your time? Otherwise you will need to seriously pare down the trip.

- Akaroa is a full day trip

- when you drive to Franz it is a full day - no time for gorge side-trips

- most Franz helicopter flights are postponed due to weather - you need to allow a full day for this

- allow a full day to drive Franz to Wanaka

- to drive Q'town to Milford to Te Anau is a very full day - the Milford Road has a high number of accidents, mainly due to tired drivers who try to do too much

- your trip out of Chch must be late evening? or you won't have time to do half your wish list.

in 8 days you can;

1 arrive Chch

2 drive to Franz

3 heli-hike

4 drive to Wanaka

5 drive to Queenstown, explore

6 bus/cruise Milford, bus back to Q'town - 13 hour day

7 drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook or Tekapo

8 drive to Chch, fly out

if you arrive early enough day 1 and aren't tired, you could drive day 1 as far as Arthur's Pass. This would make the drive to Franz easier the following day.

Driver fatigue is the number one cause of NZ road accidents. Please plan wisely and travel safe.

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: South Island itinerary

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.i really appreciate it. It looks like i need to skip some of the activities and re plan.My flight arrrive 8am in the morning and also depart from christchurch around 10pm.

Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,992 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Island itinerary

Also bear in mind that in Chch, neither Victoria Square nor Cathedral square are accessible due to a few earthquakes - remember them ;-( The Gondola & the Antarctic Centre would occupy most of your first day. Akaroa, as mentioned above, is pretty much a full day trip.

5. Re: South Island itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 04:17