We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

Traveling from sfo to auckland on air New Zealand in April. Have requested a gluten free meal but have never flown this far and for so many hours. Any hints on food to bring on board the flight? Thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

Air NZ will cater to your meal request, no need to bring any food. When flying long haul it is best to do everything in moderation, this includes eating.

If wanting snacks, just pack your usual favourite gluten free snacks.

Do ensure you don't take one scrap off food off the plane in Auckland - no airline food, no snacks, no empty food containers. If you do, declare it on the arrivals card. If you don't declare it it will be found and you are liable for a $400 fine - on arrival your bags will be sniffed by bio-security dogs and x-rayed for organic material.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

Is it okay to take sealed snacks (ie, chips) off the glight?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,097 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

When you complete your arrival card at your point of entry you will be asked are you carrying food. If you tick no and some is found then bye bye $400. If you have food declare it, if in doubt declare it. Sealed chippies by the way should be fine.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

You can bring what you want off the flight as long as you declare it. Bio-security will inspect it and decide if it can enter the country. If it can't they will confiscate it, and as long as it has been declared you won't be fined.

But you realise NZ has shops and you will recognise most brands here? There really is no reason to schlep food across the planet when chances are high you can already buy it here.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,595 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

ALL food must be declared, no matter what origin (including airline food which might have been made in NZ). MAF officers will make a quick decision and usually let you go. I often declare Chinese tea and have no problems. Sealed snacks, candy, cookies/biscuits etc same. Fruit is a big no-no as is meat & honey.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

Thank you all for your insights. Appreciate each of your taking your time to respond. I guess I was thinking that I needed to substitute the in-flight meal with something I knew I wouldn't react to. And being naive about NZ stores. But, now I know to declare everything! Thanks again.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,364 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

Better to ask here than find out on arrival with your bags being inspected and the fines mounting up!

As I mentioned earlier - if you do pack your own meal leave the empty containers on board or declare them on arrival. A few mouthfuls of left over salad or hamburger and you could be fined.

Safe travels :)

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

If you are on Air New Zealand please note that the Gluten Intolerante meal is NOT gluten free and so not suitable for celiac travellers. I'm travelling Auckland - LA - Auckland next week and rang to check. The guy was super helpful and suggested going for the fruit platter and bringing my own snacks. It's not a meal but at least it's something. Meantime he also suggested I email the company and let them know that the difference is serious to those of us with Celiac and ask them to change the Gluten Intolerant to Gluten Free - that way it covers everyone.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

The eager Beagles that do the Ministry of Primary Industry checks will even pick up that your bag had an organge in it 2 weeks ago. The red lane may be shorter anyway. Have any stuff easy to get out.

Our supermarket is realively small by city standards. Even they have shelves clearly maked as "Gluten Free". (The contents are gluten free, the shelves are inedible) They have a booklet at the front counter with a list of GF products and where to find them. You will not have any issues finding suitable food.

As for the food on the flight, on Air NZ I'm often tempted to declare a special requirement as it gets delivered first and usually looks really good.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 02:41
Wollongong
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ideas for gluten free meals to bring on flight?

Air New Zealand does not supply gluten free meals onboard. It is only gluten intolerant so don't get caught like my family member.