We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scuba dive?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
scuba dive?

Hello. I am planning a trip to NZ this winter, mid december to mid january. where are the best places in New Zealand to scuba dive? Thanks!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,849 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scuba dive?

Mid Dec to Mid January in NZ is mid summer. some of the best diving in the world can be found at the Poor Knights, with 100ft viz bubble caves, caves you can turn your boat around in and plentiful fish and deep diving capability.

I havent dived there for about 35 years but it will be no more unspoilt now than it was then. Dive trips run out of Tutukaka (North of Whangarei).

There is excellent diving in many other parts of NZ from wreck diving to catching food to just seeing the pretties.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
13,144 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scuba dive?

I second Poor Knights marine reserve for a high quality experience.

Other parts of the North Island to consider are the Bay of Plenty coastline and its offshore islands, as well as the Far North offshore islands on its eastern side including the Cavalli islands, and the Bay of Islands area..

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,053 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scuba dive?

Definitely Poor Knights Islands. Totally amazing sea caves, sea life and clarity. tutukaka is the place to leave from.

4. Re: scuba dive?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 April 2014, 06:16