We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Topic
Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

stuff.co.nz/business/industries/8497507/Souv…

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

It is so frustrating and annoying to see how NZ tourism is getting a bad rap because of unscrupulous businessmen, seemingly Asian, ripping off gullible compatriots. It happened at Christmas when a busload of Asian tourists were taken to a free Christmas Dinner provided free for the needy then asked by the tour leader to pay him for the priviledge. It also happens quite regularly, I am led to believe, when tour groups are taken to view the free Kuirau Park in Rotorua and told by the group leader, they must pay for the priviledge. Isn't it about time these rip off merchants were given a one way ticket out of New Zealand?

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

They shouldn't have been allowed to immigrate here in the first place

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

Exactly - but sadly a big bank account gets them in the door.

And all too often once the kids have finished their education with massive loans, the entire family departs.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,130 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

........................... with NZ citizenship to take up unfettered entry into Australia

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,595 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

Always thought I could spell and then I mess up on T/A...what a privilege!

See on another news thread , we are not managing to keep immigrant doctors either. I guess a lot come, take what they need in the education stakes, have a look around our great country at someone else's expense and then leave.

Bean, the thread you started has really wound me up so I'm off to see Mt Zion.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,249 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

Really annoying to see that they are Asians ripping off other Asians. I have heard of the tour groups being taken to see Pohutu over the fence and told the local iwi don't let them in; or being taken to souvenir shops owned by their compatriots and told the "other shops" are more expensive. These poor visitors are often first time travellers and very gullible.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

unfortuneatly, not many of the visitors to NZ who have been subject to such rip offs would be unlikely to watch TA forums to be warned or advised of such activities. The intention of TA is to try to help people from being taken advantage of.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

@ zhuhai2007, it's annoying but it's not surprising. It's a classic con. Though I'm friendly when I travel, I'm more weary of ppl who claim to come from the same place as my last country of residence.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
870 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

@beanb41, isn't it a good thing now that Oz side has tighten their PR for kiwis. It's been for a few yrs but if you read migration forums, you will find that some are still shocked that they no longer have that automatic right. May be it'll take a decade more for msg to get through.

Personally, I have no idea why nz gov need to market the country so much and bring in so many immigrants when skill shortage doesn't mean one can find jobs in that area. And may be b'cos I'm not dripping with cash and jealous but I really don't like the investor category. I've seen enough annoying ones in Singapore and it is also one reason I wont want to live in Auckland.

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
11,830 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ripping off tourists is taken seriously

This is good to hear that such scammers are being prosecuted.

I think the key information that can serve as a warning to tourists is that the tourists were taken to these shops. Avoid tours with shopping stops (or at least don't shop at these stops.)