We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanmer springs

Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Hanmer springs

Is hanmer springs worth visiting ?

Thank you

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanmer springs

If you plan to fly half way round the world to land in Hanmer for a soak and then fly off again, then I suspect the answer is no.

If you plan a tour of NZ and you are passing by Hanmer and enjoy soaking in hot springs and thermal pools, then the answer is yes.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanmer springs

If you don't fancy sitting in hot water then I probably wouldn't make the trip off the Lewis Pass.

It is a rather pleasant almost alpine village. We visit a few times a year from Christchurch as it's only 1 1/2 drive to a walk in the forest or to start a bit of 4x4 driving. The pools are quite spectacular for the 3 days every 2 years when they are surrounded by snow. (usually the day after I leave)

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,799 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanmer springs

Depends on your iternary. If you are already visiting Hot Pools in Rotorua or

taupo then I wouldnt. But if you are passing I would go. its a lovely Alpine village, but is a total tourist area. However, has excellent walking tracks and mountain bike tracks which are certainly worth doing. The thermal complex has hydroslides, funnel ride, lazy river, kids pools, adults only pools and rock pools. All very nice, but can get busy. Maruia is another thermal place about an hour away from Hanmer and is more natural and not very busy.

4. Re: Hanmer springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 05:17