We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries recommendations

New York
1 post
Save Topic
Wineries recommendations

Hi,

I'm planning a visit to New Zealand and was wondering if anyone had recommendations in terms of the best areas to visit. Marlborough is already on our list as a must visit area. Does anyone have any insights on Hawke's Bay or Waiheke Island or Central Otago Wineries?

Also, how many days should I spend at the wineries? We are going to be in NZ for about 10-11 days and I don't want to spend the whole time at the wineries but am not sure what would be the right amount of time..given there appears to be so many great wineries areas

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries recommendations

Much as I love drinking wine I do find that unless I am seeking to bring a fair amount home (not really practical from NZ) there is a limit to how many visits I want to make. We tasted at Mission Estate in Hawkes Bay and then returned in the evening for a very good dinner accompanied by our favourite wines from our tasting. We also visited Mercury Bay winery on the Coromandel where we tasted and bought several bottles.

If you are planning to visit the Nelson/ Abel Tasman area I can thoroughly recommend a stay at Ruby Vineyard with the amazingly hospitable Andy & Ivy.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,648 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries recommendations

With 10 - 11 days you don't have time to cover all of NZ so select one island. If exploring the South Island choose your location as 10 days won't cover Marlborough plus Central Otago (unless you fly).

I would choose the lower South Island - stunning scenery, generally better weather then up north and some great vineyards in the Wanaka/Queenstown area.

California
Level Contributor
9,146 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries recommendations

If Marlborough is a priority and you don't want to drive great lengths to the next winery region, you do have some nearby options. There are a number of smaller, charming wineries near Nelson scattered about the hills. You could incorporate a hiking/kayaking/water taxi adventure at Abel Tasman Park while in the area.

Then south of Marlborough, about 45 minutes north of Christchurch, is the Waipara region. You could stop overnight at Kaikoura and swim with dolphins or take a whale watching excursion from there.

http://www.wineart.co.nz/wineries.htm

www.visithurunui.co.nz/hurunui/cellardoors/

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,360 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries recommendations

It would be helpful to know your prferences. Wine production is a big deal in NZ and each region has it own specialties. If you are into Reisling I would head for Wipara outside Christchurch, savignon Blanc Malborough, Pinot noir Central Otago. But then wine is a subjective topic and others may accuse me of talking Bovine excretia.

Oz
Level Contributor
13,621 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries recommendations

Hi,

I second the central Otago Pinot Noir vote and if you like dessert wines the Pinot Ice is to die

for.

http://www.akarua.com/wines/noir-ice/

OMG it's SOLD OUT!!! I hope it is back in their cellar when we visit in August. Still there is still the skiing ;-)

Cheers,

6. Re: Wineries recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 05:17