We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

Hi,

I will be renting a car from Apex over my 3 week trip in both North & South Islands.

I am concerned about having to park the car and take overnight trips and day long trips.

Overnight trips - Paihia, Milford Sound etc.

Are there safe parking locations at major tourist destinations in New Zealand? Is it expensive?

Am I covered if the car is stolen ... having a zero-liability plan from Apex?

Thanks & Cheers,

Kapil

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

If you exercise the usual caution you should be fine.

Park in a well lit area, stow valuables etc out of sight, lock the doors. Are you leaving your car in Queenstown, Te Anau or Milford for your overnight?

Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

In Paihia, for anyone doing an overnight trip, there is secure parking at WaiOra Apartments, and they also run a free shuttle bus back to the town centre/wharf.

http://waiora-valley.co.nz/parking/

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

Hi WanakaLakes,

It wont be Queenstown. I'll be doing the scenic drive before the Milford overnight cruise, so it will be Te Anau or Milford. I'll decide in next few days, but it would be good to know the parking options at Te Anau and Milford.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Kapil

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

Milford has a large carpark with little to no history of security problems. Many cars are parked overnight without issue every night of the week.

If leaving your car at Te Anau you can usually leave it at your accommodation - enquire when you first book - most motels and hotels will be happy to do this.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

Take the usual precautions and park in public well lit areas as much as possible. If you have a zero liability and you take all reasonable precautions to look after your car I would think you would be fine. I would raise your concerns in writing with Apex and get their response in writing so you will know exactly where you stand. It is little point us making comments that you will be fine if the company invokes special conditions.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

It still surprises me why the rental car companies, including Apex place huge stickers on the rear window, and some othercompanies on the doors, advising everyone it is a rental car and therefore potentialy has a lot of valuables on board. I have not seen this practice in other countries to the same extent as here in NZ. Make sure that you have travel insurance and also makesure that your travel insurance will cover car hire excess charges in the event of an accident or vandalisim. last week I met some young german tourists, who had a serious accident with no fault of theirs, they had to pay the 2000 dollar excess, and their travel insurance would not cover their excess.

take usual precautions anywhere you leave your car

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,050 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

Coaster as you are aware I raised the matter of signage with Apex and they advised that the stats pertaining to rentals were that the logo'd vehicles had no more vandalism or thefts than unlogo'd vehicles but reports from their customers were that their customers were treated with more consideration and when problems arose the company was contacted quicker from vehicles with a logo than from those without.

I was initially like you in the belief that putting a logo on a vehicle was attracting problems but it appears the opposite is the case

UK
Level Contributor
3,174 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

When we parked overnight at Te Anau, for a Doubtful Sound overnight cruise, we removed our luggage from the car and it was was stored by the travel company (Real Journeys) in a separate locked room.

9. Re: Safe Tourist parking in New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2014, 06:16