We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ trip in May

london
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
NZ trip in May

Hello,

I have a business trip coming up in NZ in May and I wanted to take the opportunity to take some days off here and there, to see things as this is possibly my only opportunity.

I will be travelling by myself (I am in my thirties). My itinerary: 3 days in Wellington, 2 days in Napier, few days in Auckland and then I wanted to spend about 6 days in the South Island (possibly longer, if I can extend my ticket). I just wanted to ask what are the must-see things and what is realistic, given the relatively short timeframe.

I am particularly interested in photography/scenery (and less in cities, on this trip anyway).

Any tips or links would be very appreciated. And is there anything I'd need to pre-book? (aside from car).

Would I be able to rent a car with a UK driving licence?

Many thanks, myfriday

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,653 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NZ trip in May

Welcome to the Forum. With only 6 days, starting from AKL I suggest your only sensible option is to FLY to Queenstown ( check out www.grabaseat.co.nz with AirNZ).

1. Arr ZQN, explore

2. Coach tour to Milford Sound

3. Ether take a LOTR tour, jet boat trip etc or pick up rental car

4. Drive to Aoraki/Mt Cook (4hr)

5. Drive to Chch via Lake Tekapo

6. Fly back to AKL

Add any spare days to Queenstown or Wanaka

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,369 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NZ trip in May

yep, Z has offered a good itinerary taking in some stunning scenery.

if time allows add Wanaka - so go;

Queenstown

drive Crown Range to Wanaka

drive Lindis Pass to Aoraki/Mt Cook

And yes, you can rent and drive on a UK license.

I would pre-book accommodation as it will save time each day while here, not having to drive around looking for a place to stay. Check www.wotif.com for a wide range of discounted accommodation options - B&B's might suit you well. They range from moderate through to luxury and you get a lot of local knowledge plus excellent breakfasts.

Happy planning :)

london
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: NZ trip in May

Many thanks for the suggestions!

I can certainly fly. Hopefully there are enough hotels to choose from in the places mentioned. I also heard NZ is one of the best places to see whales (where?); would it be possible to incorporate this?

thanks again and can't wait for the trip! mf

london
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: NZ trip in May

I would also like to include Rotorua as I will have some time in Auckland. How long should I plan for this? (one day enough or half a day?) and something else to include on the way?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
5,062 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NZ trip in May

If you are driving between Napier and Auckland, Rotorua would best be included on the way. I recommend staying at least one night, maybe two nights. Between Rotorua and Auckland you might like to stop at Hobbiton, or the Waitomo Caves.

london
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NZ trip in May

Just finalising my trip and have some outstanding questions:

1. It looks like I will only have 3 days in South Island (Queenstown) not including arrival/departure days. Would it give me time to see the most important sights there (Milford Sound etc) or is this a waste of time and I should extend my return flight?

2. Separately, for the North Island: should I spend more days in/around Wellington or Auckland?

3. I will have 1 or 1 and a half days to drive between Napier and Hamilton. Is there time for Rotorua and/or Taupo on the way?

many thanks

Edited: 28 April 2013, 20:48
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,653 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NZ trip in May

With only 3 days in the SI you will need to fly into and out of ZQN (Queenstown) which will give you plenty of time to do a day trip to Milford Sound.

With 1.5 days you could easily drive Napier to Rotorua in half a day and spend most of the next day seeing at least one thermal park before driving to Hamilton (only about 1:30hr).

london
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: NZ trip in May

I was planning on flying. What is the best way to experience Milford Sound? (boat, road, plane? I came across this website: airmilford.co.nz/milford-sound-flights.html It seems there is a small airport in Milford Sound.

Budget not a problem (within reason).

Oz
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NZ trip in May

Hi,

IMHO the fly (fixed wing)/cruise/glacier landing(floppy wing)/fly is the best way to experience Fiordland. Others will argue the road trip from Te anau is essential. There isn't anything that would tempt me onto a bus but as a self drive it is great.

Cheers,

10. Re: NZ trip in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2014, 07:17