We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions on 4 week trip to NZ in February 2014

London
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions on 4 week trip to NZ in February 2014

Hi I am just about to start planning our long awaited trip to NZ in February/March 2014. We are planning on a 4 week holiday and want to take in a stop over on the way and one on the way back. I particularly want to go to Dubai, and would like to stay a couple of days in Sydney. Any suggestions for airline? We are staying with family in Lake Wanaka so will be flying into Christchurch and spending all our time in the South Island. My question is, can we get about and see most things from Lake Wanaka or should we start in Christchurch and work our way down to Lake Wanaka, stay for a week and then work our way back up to Christchurch. Any suggestions on must see sites/places/stopovers, etc. I know my sister in law will do most of the planning for us, but just wanted to do some research myself and make some suggestions on what we might want to see and do. Is there say a bus that we can get from Christchurch which will allow us to hop on and hop off. Any advice greatly received :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,279 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions on 4 week trip to NZ in February 2014

Welcome to TA. If you don't want to drive, a Hop-on-hop-off bus would work for you. Try stray travel or Magic Bus. Driving of course would offer you more flexibility. Assuming you have three weeks left after your stopovers in SYD & Dubai, I would suggest you head north from Chch to Nelson, then south via the glaciers to Wanaka (1week); stay in & around Wanaka for a week & then head for Te Anau, Milford Sound, Queenstown, Dunedin, Mt Cook & back to Chch.

Global Wanderer
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions on 4 week trip to NZ in February 2014

hi, for flights to your destination Emirates is probably best - stops at Dubai, Sydney and NZ; as its HQ is in Dubai you can probably get a good hotel package deal thru them to stay in Dubai. It's a well respected airline and has latest inflight entertainment on most planes.

As for the NZ bit, it's probably best to make a wish list of places to visit and plan from there; Googlemaps will give an idea of travel times from place to place (assuming you have a car) - and on my list would be

Kaikoura whale watch (best to get there from Christchurch)

Milford Sound or Doubtful Sound (best from Wanaka)

West Coast highway - inc. glaciers (could be travelled via Arthur's Pass from Christchurch to Wanaka)

Caitlins - probably an over-niter from Wanaka

Mount Cook - on the way from Wanaka to Christchurch

- happy travels

3. Re: Suggestions on 4 week trip to NZ in February 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 07:17