We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand itinerary. Please help

Washington DC
Level Contributor
8 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand itinerary. Please help

My husband and I are travelling solo to New Zealand and Australia for 22 days. We have our Australia itinerary pinned down and have a tentative plan for New Zealand. We are in our early 50's and enjoy nature, beaches, history and culture. We are not avid hikers although a little bit would not hurt. Our trip begins early December 2013. We flyinto Auckland from Usa and spend 2 nights there. We will drive to Rotorua and explore mid land through Wellington. We are trying to determine whether we should fly from Wellington to Queenstown for a few nights or whether we should take the ferry to the Picton on the south island and just explore that area before going to Australia.I also wondeered whether we should just concentrate on the Northern Island in New Zealand and go to the tip of the north to include the Bay of Islands and/or the ninety mile beach.

What would you recommend. Please help! Thank you so much! By the way, what does Queenstown really have to offer in December. We are not interested in bunjy jumping or skiiing!

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
Greater Wellington, New Zealand
California
Level Contributor
9,632 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand itinerary. Please help

How many days do you have reserved for the NZ portion of your trip? And how many days are allotted for South Island?

By the way, they'll be no skiing in Queenstown in December, it's the first month of summer! Plenty of things to do there. Jet boating (both thrilling kinds and scenic kinds), wineries, rafting, 4x4 into back canyons and mine relics, zip-lining, parasailing, horseback riding, kayaking, LOTR tours, to name a few.

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,706 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand itinerary. Please help

Given thta your interests are beaches and culture rather than hiking or photography I suggets that indeed the Bay of Islands/Northland area might be more suitable. I'll leave it to Andychef and Frangapani to fill in the details when you tell us how many days you have in total.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
8 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand itinerary. Please help

We are going to be in New Zealand for a full nine days. Six days we have already reserved to do Auckland , Rotorua and neighboring areas all the way to Wellington. We have three more possibly 4 days in which to

1) go to the Bay Islands on northern tip and explore . Should we include the ninety mile beach? Do the Bay Islands offer experiences that I would not get anywhere else in the mid regions i.e Taupo, Rotorua etc? Will the water be warm enough on the 90 mile beach to swim and is the beach any different to other beaches I would see in Australia or other areas of new zealand?

2)Go to the northern tip of the South Island to include Picton and the sound to explore that region

3) Go to Queenstown and explore the milford sound and areas to include Wanaka? Bunji jumping, ziplining, water rafting is not high on our list but we do enjoy other water sports. Would we see something so different if we went to Queenstown for a few days? Please advise which option you think might be the best?

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Wellington
Wellington
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Washington DC
Level Contributor
8 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand itinerary. Please help

My husband and I are travelling solo to New Zealand and Australia for 22 days. We have our Australia itinerary pinned down and have a tentative plan for New Zealand. We are in our early 50's and enjoy nature, beaches, history and culture. We are not avid hikers although a little bit would not hurt. Our trip begins early December 2013. We flyinto Auckland from Usa and spend 2 nights there. We will drive to Rotorua and explore mid land through Wellington for a total of six full days. We have 3 or 4 full days left to play with and we would truly appreciate any advice you can give us.We are trying to determine whether we should fly from Wellington to Queenstown for a few nights or whether we should take the ferry to the Picton on the south island and just explore that area before going to Australia.I also wondered whether we should just concentrate on the Northern Island in New Zealand and go to the tip of the north to include the Bay of Islands and/or the ninety mile beach.

What would you recommend. Please help! Thank you so much! By the way, what does Queenstown really have to offer in December. We are not interested in bunjy jumping or skiiing!

These are 3 possible options we were contemplating

1) go to the Bay Islands on northern tip and explore . Should we include the ninety mile beach? Do the Bay Islands offer experiences that I would not get anywhere else in the mid regions i.e Taupo, Rotorua etc? Will the water be warm enough on the 90 mile beach to swim and is the beach any different to other beaches I would see in Australia or other areas of new zealand?

2)Go to the northern tip of the South Island to include Picton and the sound to explore that region

3) Go to Queenstown and explore the milford sound and areas to include Wanaka? Bunji jumping, ziplining, water rafting is not high on our list but we do enjoy other water sports. Would we see something so different if we went to Queenstown for a few days? Please advise which option you think might be the best?

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
Wellington
Wellington
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Oz
Level Contributor
14,137 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand itinerary. Please help

Hi,

If I read your post correctly and you have a total of 22 days to see Australia and NZ I would drop the western island (Oz) and the north island in NZ and spend the 22 days seeing some of the icons of the south island.

IMHO you need at least a month to visit just some of the icons in Oz( it is the size of the Continental US!) and at least three weeks for the South Island in NZ with a further ten days for the North Island. These time frames allow just a taste. IMHO quality always wins over quantity and rushing just isn't my thing.

Cheers,

Mentioned in this post
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
132 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand itinerary. Please help

Yes the Bay of Islands is very different to Rotorua and Taupo and the Northland area ticks all of the boxes for you of history, culture, beaches and nature.

You would be able to swim in December, there are lots of lovely beaches and plenty of water activities. You would need to pick a safe space to swim at Ninety Mile Beach as it is an exposed west coast beach.

7. Re: New Zealand itinerary. Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2014, 06:18